stringer replacement fiberglass and fiberglass supplies.

cbain

Seaman
I am getting ready to repair some stringers aft of my boat. I really don't know the extent of damage yet but would love for supplies to not kill my wallet. Any advice or where I can purchase a little at a time cheaply or possibly bulk with out taking a small loan out?

tpenfield

Staff member
Many of 'us' buy the supplies online in larger quantities to keep the overall cost down.

iBoats sell supplies. :thumb:

Mod EDIT​

You can Google your way to any local suppliers/retailers, but in small quantities it will probably be a big cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbain

Seaman
thanks. now can I get a list of supplies of mat I should use and also the best resin for the cost. I know epoxy is the best but is high in cost.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kill the wallet they will but that's a
B........break
O.......out
A.......another
T......thousand
But doing it yourself is the whole benefit, pain/joy, love/hate, pleasure/disillusion, belief/non-belief......Kinda reminds me about a >>>>>>>>>>>>fill in the blank!:laugh:
All kidding aside TP above is right on the money. Post some pics asap and alot of great guys will be there to answer your questions and help. Marine stuff is just always NOT CHEAP. But shopping is the best way. Pics, questions will help us help you.
Welcome aboard! And Great Luck kickin some arse with the project. Check out Woods/Wog on the how to tips up above. Will help to make order smart and on the $$.
KC

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Epoxy is great, but many, many boats are built with polyester resin. Generally the wood rots and fails long before the fiberglass does.

If you buy in small quantities, you not only will pay LOTS more over the course of your work, but you also run the risk if running out of supplies while you're working. Few things are more frustrating than to have prepped your boat for glassing and made the time free to do it, only to run out of resin or something else.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depending on where you live/work, etc is what will determine where you get your supplies. shipping is usually the most expensive, so buying everything at once is the way to go so as not to keep paying the EPA transport fees.

I went thru 15 gallons of resin on my last project (stringers, bulkhead, transom, flotation boxes, motor mounts, coolers). some of it made trophies.... some of it soaked into my clothes, a bit of it got turned into dust by grinding, most of it is in the boat holding the stuff together. I did run-out, and the last 5 gallons purchased locally (as 1 gallon containers) cost me about 3 times the first 10 gallons did.

make sure you get layup resin (non-waxed)

Raypex

Seaman
Check this out. I was very pleased with their stuff.

Mod EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im in the same boat as you cbain. If i do a total gut job on 19' bow rider. Im guessing 900 shipped for fiberglass, resin, and fillers. I want a whole roll of matt and some 1708. I have no idea how many yrds 1708 guessing 20 is way enough.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
think all together I used 10 yeard of 1708 on a 17 footer but I did cover my floor with it, and about 10 yards of matt might have been more but I know that's about where I started.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I should have written that name down before your post got hacked......it's really hard to argue with lower prices.
Pepsi doesnt let Coke sell their products in the parking lot and Coke doesnt sell Pepsi in their break room.

This is an online retailer, who provides this FREE forum. End of discussion.

Check your PMs BaylinerChuck.