New '67 Starcraft needs overhaul.

Procastinator

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the warning JB. I have set a page up for SC. Appears there is no recorded info on my boat model. I think I'll keep discussion here and use SC site post for specialized items that I need.

Mike

Procastinator

Seaman Apprentice
Patfromny,

We take long weekends traveling through the canal system. Not much heading east of us until the otherside of utica almost to Albany. We have been talking about getting a small group or convoy traveling together. Right now we have been doing one boat but in the spring we will have two. Traveling the canals and sleeping on the water is like a different state. Places like Seneca Falls, is like traveling through Louisana marshes without the bugs and gators in order to get there. Along the canal are numerous camps, marinas, and just unoccuppied space. Fishing is amazing as well. We stop at differnet places and swim in the lake, have lunch or dinner and just be. The boat, a radio for music and a grill attached to side of boat are only essentials. Everything else is extra. And doesn't fit on current conquest.

Maybe we can meet during one of our trips.

Mike

Procastinator

Seaman Apprentice
My nesxt question would be; do I remove a fiberglass floor and reinstall? Several portions are bad and it has several appearent seems. I'll take pictures and post when I can. School and kids have been consuming all my time. The tin boats on SC remove floors and reinstall solid wood?

Right now the the I/O, the gas tanks are on top of deck. Which are missing BTW. Can I install a below deck gas tank? The cost of tanks are cheaper that way and larger. Although height might be an issue? I need at least 50 gallons to travel in the canal system. Fill ups are hard. Although 2 tanks at 25 gallon can be removed and brought to station and purchase fuel at major discount.

Once I can determine year of engine, if original or close to original, Should it have lead additive to the fuel? I remember hearing somewhere that the fuel burns hot on one of the systems.

MIke

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lead additive couldn't hurt IMHO. I have read that a few gallons of leaded racing fuel like cam2 will give you more lead than the additives though. The trick for you would be to find a local supplier. A racing engine shop usually has a few 55 gallon drums of it for dyno testing if you cannot find a local gas staition. It is pricey but you would only need 3 or 4 gallons for a 50 gallon tank. You might even consider repowering your boat as you get further into it. Any engine from the mid seventies and newer should have the hardened seats and unleaded valves. I know they used a different material for the unleaded valves but my memory fails me as to what that was. You could probably get away with straight unleaded for the rest of the engines life but couldn't hurt to add some lead. Perfectly legal too since it is a recreational vehicle. Would love to meet a fellow iboater. The only problem would be coordinating trips. I live 4 hrs from my camp on Long Island and only get up a few times a year. Who knows though. Onieda is only about an hour away right? I'm 45 minutes west of Albany if that helps.

Procastinator

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the input Pat. I want to head to NY via the canals. I have people that I can visit that live very near the water. I think that would be a very fun trip. Maybe three days there and two days back depending on locks. I do need to find the engines date of production. It might have been repowered. The paint on the engine block is thick and hard to see. I still have it covered which doesn't help. I need to settle on a place to store and work on the boat as well. Does IMHO mean in my humble opinion?

I'll seek out the cam2. We have mutliple raceways. Oswego race track, brewerton race track and fulton race track. Most have back yard mechanics. So there has to be a supply somewhere.

Is there an effective way to take some of the paint of the engine block without hurting it? Previous owner painted engine block.

Mike

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My 2 cents about using lead substitute - Forget it.

Lead was added to gas as an antiknock agent - A cheap way to increase octane. Everyone thinks it was to keep valve seats from being beat to death.

Besides, lead isn't good for you.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lead was used as a lubricant for the valves as well. They had to change to hardened valves when the conversion to unleaded happened.

Procastinator

Seaman Apprentice
winter coming here fast. I have a 16 ft conquest that needs floor. i will repair that one to get idea of flooring issues and how to do a better job on sar craft.