Bought boat.......uh....oh....

Drvwybter

Cadet
So I did the dumb thing. Bought a boat on another man's word I assumed wouldn't dare cross me. Now I'm looking at an out drive repaint, new controls, and the ski locker and gas tank walls are rice paper in places. I know, I did this backwards. I've been a car guy all my life and thought... How much different can it be? Wow..... I am wrong. However I am up for the challenge. Ive recently lost both my parents so ive got some hobbying to do. The main question to start with here is: I can jump and bang and beat my floor. It is sound. Are these gas tank and ski locker walls replaceable without removingy floor? Of course if I get further down and find deeper rot.....I know what I'm in for. I've watched Frisco and his fun.

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lol I've watched most of friscoboaters videos on you tube and at first I didn't want to think that I would have to do the transom on my boat but after taking it out a few times I would rather be safe on the water and know what I got so never the less I'm doing the transom stringers and floor in my boat. I drove for 6 hours away from home to trade my old truck on this boat and didn't really want to drive it all the way back so once I seen the boat I had a suspension that it wasn't worth trading but being a fool I did any way. But at least I have a boat. It may need some work but it will be pretty sweet when done. Good luck to you with yours.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Don't see any way to remove the tank and locker walls without removing the deck, guess its possible but going to be a pain. Since those areas are soft, my guess is the stringers are also. Check the lower section of the transom area with a screw driver down low. If you can push it in, then it to needs replacing

As with all of these threads of boats

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPictures.jpg

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome, What type of boat and how big is she?

Friscoboater gave me the confidence to start on the same type of job he did too, hope yours is less work, but at least u know that with time and money most wrongs can be righted.

Drvwybter

Cadet
She is a 96 four Winns horizon 24ft. She is big. I would hate to sell this boat to another unsuspecting person. Here goes nothing......ugh.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Post one more time saying whatever and them post some pictures so we can see what you see. The forum doesn't allow you to post picture unless you have 3 posts under your belt or alternatively open a Photobucket account and copy the IMG code and paste it in your post.

In general, you can't remove the gas tank without yanking the deck. Why do you think the gas tank need to be replaced? Does it leak? Did you pressure test it?

Painting the outdrive is not a big deal, it just require some know how that is all. If you shot a car or a panel before, you got the spray part already figured out.

Drvwybter

Cadet
Screen write indicates where I can put my finger through the bulkheads and part of the ski locker. The worst is at the ski locker. Here is some corrosion. And her first day home.

Attachments

• 20160917_092515-1.jpg
    20160917_092515-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160920_163223.jpg
    20160920_163223.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160914_215215.jpg
    20160914_215215.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160914_215238.jpg
    20160914_215238.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160827_174400.jpg
    20160827_174400.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1

Vintage Rider

Seaman
Hummm. If the gas tank is that accessable and your deck is sound it's likely someone replaced it in the past. I bought a boat like that, good deck over rotten stringers. Fortunatly for me I only bought it for parts for another boat. I only mention this because it's possable your buddy didn't do you wrong, or at least didn't think he was doing you wrong. He, like the guy I bought mine from, may know zip about boat construction and honestly thought if the deck is solid the boat must be good. On the other hand...

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Based on the photos, the gas tank assess hatch is factory. When you drain and remove the tank, you will have great access to the stringers to check for rot. Also check motor mounts and as mentioned, the transom. I like to drill a 1/4 inch hole in maybe 1/2 inch and see what kind of wood comes out, dry or wet.

I am very concerned about the corrosion in the lower unit, particularly the front where the pitting is. Check for good anodes. Do you have shore power in the boat (110 volts)?

Need to take one problem at a time and work thru them. Dont sell the boat to some other unsuspecting person.

Last edited:

Drvwybter

Cadet
The PO claims "its a boat, expect these things". The motor mounts and transom sound fine. I've tapped everywhere I can reach. It seems its rotting from the top of the stringers down. The bottom of these pieces are solid as hell. Its the top 6 inches. The anodes were not beimg used. I have new magnesium ones now. The boat was docked by PO. I do not trust it enough to leave it alone.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
She's a pretty boat; I can see why you picked her. I hope you don't find too many problems below deck and with the mounts/transom, but if you do, these kind of boats are quite fixable. There are many topics detailing restorations here, in addition to Friscoboater's, so you will have all the help, encouragement and expertise you need to make that boat as good as new (or better).

Drvwybter

Cadet
You guys are awesome! Most car forums I'd just get laughed at for being so ignorant. I will start a thread on the resto once she is winterized. Fortunately I have 1200sq ft of heated indoor space to fix her. Need a ventilation system now for the glass work.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Howdy

Don't see any way to remove the tank and locker walls without removing the deck, guess its possible but going to be a pain. Since those areas are soft, my guess is the stringers are also. Check the lower section of the transom area with a screw driver down low. If you can push it in, then it to needs replacing

As with all of these threads of boats

LOVE IT!

alldodge

Staff member
The anodes were not beimg used. I have new magnesium ones now. .

I see the anodes were not installed but does it have the electrical cathode system installed on the boat? On a Merc it's called Mercathode

Agree it is a nice looking

fetch

fetch

Drvwybter

Cadet
The anodes were there just calicified. There are 2 anodes (small) attached to the steering arms. Volvo does not list them. They appear to have jumper wires as well. As for a cathode system I believe not.

Attachments

• 20160915_081543.jpg
    20160915_081543.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160922_115552.jpg
    20160922_115552.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
You guys are awesome! Most car forums I'd just get laughed at for being so ignorant. I will start a thread on the resto once she is winterized. Fortunately I have 1200sq ft of heated indoor space to fix her. Need a ventilation system now for the glass work.....

if anyone here tells you they haven't been ignorant they are liars.;)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Assuming you're going to use polyester, I wouldn't worry about installing a ventilation system. Much more important that you have a really good mask that removes organic vapors.

Unless you're running a chopper gun, or unless your garage is attached to your house, you're not going to be working with enough resin to need any special ventilation. (If you're in an attached garage, ventilation isn't a bad idea. The fumes aren't likely be present in enough concentration to be dangerous in the house, but it will stink...) The MEKP (catalyst for the resin) is pretty flammable, but once mixed, the amount of catalyzed resin you'll be using won't pose a risk, even in a heated space.

If you're garage is detached, I would just make sure I had a really good mask that removes organic vapors. And be sure to measure and mix the MEKP away from an open flame.

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The PO claims "its a boat, expect these things". The motor mounts and transom sound fine. I've tapped everywhere I can reach. It seems its rotting from the top of the stringers down.

From what I've seen on these forums, this is more than likely false. IMO

If it is true, any water that gets to the top of the stringers is going to wick down and settle at the bottom. Judging by the bulkhead pictures id be curious to get that gas tank out and check the stringers.

I believe this is step 2 in boat restoration. Denial lol. I was there not all that long ago.

Fingers crossed your boat is dryer than mine was! Beautiful looking boat though!

Drvwybter

Cadet
If I wasn't in denial or being the cheerleader my wife would convince me to sell it. This concept does not sit well with me. It is my problem now.