Stringer placement and fiberglass questions

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you use pb to cove the bottoms and corners you won't have any issues with them. If your stringer is 6 inches tall cut your tabbings 6" wide by 9" long , Fold in half length wise and cut the bottom 3" at the crease line.This will allow you to place it easily. Do ALL the corners first and then do the sides. For the tops use short pieces of CSM and tug and pull on them to loosen the fibers to make it easier for them to conform to the edges Use a cheap CHIP brush to DAB not brush the resin into the CSM fibers. Two layers with give you all the waterproofing needed. 1708 works great and is needed for structural strength but NOT needed for the tops.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wasnt paying enough attention.... I said 1708 because 61 did.

WOG is correct use CSM, and it'll be much more user friendly glassing the intersections and capping it all.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am laying up my Stringer assembly right now with 1708 and polyester resin. If I am unable to get all of the layers laminated in time before the fiberglass resin fully cures, what is the proper procedure for prepping the newly laid fiberglass prior to applying the final layers?. Light sanding, acetone? Right now I am running out of time before vacation (out of town) and I also need to order more resin. Could be a week or more.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of working on the severely crazed gel coat of my boat. I started grinding out all of the cracks with a dremel tool. This would take forever. There are at least 10,000 fine cracks. I figure my easiest option would be to grind off the entire gelcoat down to bare fiberglass and fair the surface with an epoxy compound. My question is how thick I need to apply the fairing compound. Just enough to smooth the surface or is there a target thickness i need to shoot for? My idea is to sand off the gelcoat, prime with bonding primer, and then apply fairing compound.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also,.upon sanding off the gelcoat I noticed that many if the cracks go into the fiberglass. Where should I go from here?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Cracks in the underlying glass usually means they were caused by some kind of impact. You'll need to grind the glass and lay down fresh glass. You should check the inside part of the hull as well to see if it needs reinforcement at the area of the crack.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They're just hairline cracks. Not showing through but I would like to reinforce the areas. Would csm suffice? They are in an area with some intricate curves.