1972 19ft. Barcone CC rebuild

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
.. Are those cracks in the glass ?
Hate to say it, but to my untrained eye, that's what it looks like to me in the enlarged pic. Don't take that as gospel unless you hear it from one of the FG pros here like Woodonglass. I'm a relative boat newbie and a wood boat builder at that. I have similar looking issues with the top deck on my '64 Silver Line Rambler 14' that I hope to restore next year, so I'm looking forward to the expert's opinions on this just as much as you are.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Those are superficial cracks that you see. Those lines are the way the gelcoat was cracked throughout the whole hull. They sand out with the 80 grit after the grinding. As for the pits should I just fill them with something like Marine Tex to smooth them out? Or use some kind of other filler? Here is another picture that had those same lines before sanding further with the 80 grit. You can still see some lines in the top left of the picture. In the middle you can see another "pit" mark and how the glass looks after going a little deeper. If this is a problem I would like to know now before going further. I just use the 36 to get the gelcote off and try not to get into the fiberglass. This method seems to be working well so far.

Attachments

• photo255669.JPG
    photo255669.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Those are superficial cracks that you see. Those lines are the way the gelcoat was cracked throughout the whole hull. They sand out with the 80 grit after the grinding. As for the pits should I just fill them with something like Marine Tex to smooth them out? Or use some kind of other filler? Here is another picture that had those same lines before sanding further with the 80 grit. You can still see some lines in the top left of the picture. In the middle you can see another "pit" mark and how the glass looks after going a little deeper. If this is a problem I would like to know now before going further. I just use the 36 to get the gelcote off and try not to get into the fiberglass. This method seems to be working well so far.

Are you sure you are seeing cracks and not some darker colored fiberglass strands? I ask because my hull had some dark brown to almost black fiberglass strands in it. It was a chopper gun built hull. Either way you can sand them out or off, whatever the case is, and fill them with either a premixed fiberglass filler from the stores, or make your own with polyester, Cabosil, Glass Bubbles, MEKP, and surfacing wax. Once mixed up and applied, it goes on very nice and smooth and cures quickly. And sands so nice without plugging the paper. The more precise recipe is on these threads, but I mix to my like depending on temps, and other issues. JMHO

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are both. The cracks are not really cracks but more of a stain from the cracked gelcoat. The fiberglass is very solid and it does have darker strands throughout the hull. I have some Cabosil left over from the last project so maybe I will just go that route. They are very small voids and I just need some type of filler kinda like bondo on a car. Thanks for the help.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Finally got around to grinding again. Between work, kids and temps in the upper 70's who has time to grind? I was hoping for a few 40-50 degree days on my days off but that never happened. Here is what I have accomplished so far. I have the hull totally ground down now I have to sand with 80 then 120 and prime. The transom is a different story. It is solid and now I can see why he had a failure there. He only faired it into the old fiberglass about 4 inches, I do not think this is nearly enough and will be going 8-10. This should hold up better then he had it before I would hope.

Attachments

• photo259031.JPG
    photo259031.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259032.JPG
    photo259032.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259033.JPG
    photo259033.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 1

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Heading to the builder of my last boat today to pick up all my supplies. Only need some resin, 1708, Acetone and glass bubbles.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I got 5 gallons of resin, 4 gallons of acetone, 6 yards of 1708 and the catalyst for $145. All I can say is these guys still rock! Hope to start glassing next weekend as I have more prep work to do. After talking to the guy at the shop I feel confident in the way this transom was put together. It was just glassed wrong as I had figured as he did not overlap it far enough.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I think I'm going to need some direction here. I finally found a problem and think I can fix it but could really use some help. I was sanding down where I thought the owner had hit something and chipped the Gelcoat off but found a crack. It goes all the way through and is about 2 feet long. The crack is on the outermost chine and there is no stringer on the inside here. I cut a hole in the floor to inspect it and have easy access to it and will just have to repair the floor when done. Should not be too big of a problem but was wondering if I should install a stringer while I have it open? The last owner had said the chipped gelcoat was because it was always on a bunk trailer that's why he bought a roller trailer. It would make sense that it would crack if all that weight is sitting where there is no stringer no? Everything else still looks good and I think I can save her. I tried to send pics to myself and I think yahoo is currently having a problem. I will post pics when they arrive. Good news is the floor is in fact new and in great shape.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo261911.JPG
    photo261911.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261912.JPG
    photo261912.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261913.JPG
    photo261913.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261914.JPG
    photo261914.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 1

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been a while and the kids and work have had me very busy. I got the boat all act together and will be painting it today. I'm going with the G2 featherfill primer. Doing 3 coats then following that up with the tractor paint. I already did the floor and rhino lined it in their gray. Came out pretty good and we will see how it holds up. I will post pics later after the paint.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Well she is done. I took her out on Friday for the sea trial and everything went great. Ran great, nice ride (very dry boat) the family will really like the ride of this boat compared to the other one. Although this was not a full rebuild as it was not needed is was a pain in the --- as grinding all the gelcoat off is tough. I could have spent more time sanding the hull smoother but just used featherfill, sanded with 320 and shot her. Not the greatest but looks great from 10ft lol. She tops out at 35 and cruises really nice at 30. I ran her out to the inlet where it was wind against tide so we had plenty of chop and she rode awesome! Had no water come in the boat at all. I can not stress enough how impressed I was with her ride. Even saw a ship docked with what appears to be windmill blades at the Morehead Port wall. Put right at 10 miles on her and called it a day. Cant wait to get the kids out fishing just in time for the fall run :rockon:. I forgot to add that total cost for project came in at $1500. This includes everything from the foam in the floor to supplies including a spray gun. I'm already looking for the next project and the warden is none to happy lol.

Attachments

• photo275946.JPG
    photo275946.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275947.JPG
    photo275947.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275948.JPG
    photo275948.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275949.JPG
    photo275949.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275950.JPG
    photo275950.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275951.JPG
    photo275951.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congratulations on the splash !! Time to wet a line !!!

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you sir. Yes, I can see fishing in the near future and cant wait to get the family out on her.