Any salvage experience??

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I bit off more than I can chew with my latest rebuild project. I took on a 1976 21' aluminum Mirrocraft with a fair 140 Mercruiser and a MC-1 O/D. I gutted the boat and planned on redoing the whole works but the scope of the job and the fact my wife would rather have a large bowrider configuration leads me to sell the works or take it to the salvage yard and cut my losses.

If I decide to go the salvage route, I was wondering if I should remove the motor and O/D and the fiberglass cabin before I take it to the salvage yard. Or should I just take it complete and see what I can get for it??

Thanks in advance for any information.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you get more if you strip the hull down to "clean aluminum". however you would get even more selling it on craigslist, especially if the motor runs. even selling just the driveline.

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the responses.

I did winterize the motor and pulled the O/D. It currently is on craigs list but I have not had any hits on it yet.

Pulling the motor would be difficult for me in my situation. The trailer it is sitting on is a dual axle with working surge brakes in very good condition.

I see many boats for sale at the end of the season that have no trailer because they use slips all season and use cradles for winter storage. So I am thinking I might scrap the boat asap, keep the trailer and use it for another boat or just sell the trailer w/o that 21' monster.

But who knows?? if I remove the components and part it out, I can salvage clean aluminum and go from there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The cleaned hull will get you $0.45 per pound for the aluminum

jbcurt00

Staff member
About the same $/lb here.

But the aluminum needs to be clean: no glue or carpet residue, and possibly hull paint.....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
You'll make way more cash selling it out right and it'll be way less work on your part. Don't scrap it!

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all for your comments.

I will do my best to sell the works instead of salvaging the craft.

SH