Stringer repair 97 Angler 204wa

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Welcome to the bulk produced boats world, M8. I am glad you are disgusted by what you see. It means you got a taste for quality. By the time you are done, you will have a much better boat than the factory can put together. Keep up the good work.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
The boat was cared for very much so. I grew up fishing on this boat and cleaning it every time we came in. It was my dad's and he passed away last year. His last wish was to go fishing with me and I plan on making that happen on this boat might take a while as I can really only work on it sundays for about 4 to 8hr a day but I know when I'm through with it the boat will be better than it was. Being it's 20 years old I'm not to surprised on what I'm finding.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
My sincere condolences and prayers for his sole. We will be here to assist you in making his dream comes true in any way we can.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Much appreciated. I know I'm in the right place for any questions along the way. For now I took measurements before I cut the deck. Will probably be getting back on it next weekend. As this weekend I will down in Dover for the race.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

So here are a couple of photos from this past weekend working on the boat. Anyone have any ideas on removing the foam? Also when i get to the point of putting the foam back in 2lb or 4lb foam? Most of my materials i will be ordering from Us composites. I heard Clear Cote was pretty good but cant find any of there stuff locally.

Attachments

• photo253070.jpg
    photo253070.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253071.jpg
    photo253071.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253072.jpg
    photo253072.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Get a suitable size shovel or scoop and have at it otherwise you will be done on the 12th day of Christmas :)

2Ib foam is good for flotation. 4Ib or heavier are more for structural use. The buoyancy is the same, maybe a little less for structural foam. It is a common misconception to assume that 4Ib foam is double the buoyancy of the 2Ib foam. But it is not true. iBoats carry supplies as well. It would be great if you consider them for your supply needs and see if you can get competitive prices as a member.

I sure hope iBoats would consider giving members special discounts like THT

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
As you can see in the picture i have two fish boxes to contended with and two deck boxes on the stern of the boat both on port and starboard sides. From what i can see the floor runs underneath and thats where the batteries are stored. Now how to go about removing these is my question. The boat is a walkaround so I imagine that the cockpit area and cabin is going to have to be removed possibly to remove the stringers? Also if the stringers are still in good shape do i have to remove them or can grind down the glass reseal them lay new glass on it if anyone can give me an idea that would be helpful. I am working on the boat at my auto repair shop so i have plenty of tools but dont have another hoist to remove the cockpit.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Get a suitable size shovel or scoop and have at it otherwise you will be done on the 12th day of Christmas :)

2Ib foam is good for flotation. 4Ib or heavier are more for structural use. The buoyancy is the same, maybe a little less for structural foam. It is a common misconception to assume that 4Ib foam is double the buoyancy of the 2Ib foam. But it is not true. iBoats carry supplies as well. It would be great if you consider them for your supply needs and see if you can get competitive prices as a member.

I sure hope iBoats would consider giving members special discounts like THT

Ok i will have to look into it. I hope they do that would be pretty sweet and save some money. Pretty sure this is just for flotation will note this. Well i hope to have most of this prep work done by then. This way come April and May when it warms up i can start glassing. Fingers crossed of course. Just depends on how much time i have to work on it.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
If the boxes are built on top of the deck, meaning ... the deck is the floor or the bottom of these boxes, take an angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it and score the seam between the walls of these boxes and the deck. This will free the boxes so you can left them off the deck. Post some actual pictures of what you see as opposed to hand sketches so we see what you do.

If the wood core of the stringers is solid and dry, no need to replace it, Use the same cutting wheel and cut out the de laminated fiberglass (From the picture, this is the portion of the fiberglass that extended to the hull) be careful not to score the hull itself... grind the fiberglass that still has good bond with the wood to rough it up a little... clean with Acetone and use two or 3 layers of 1708 to reglass the stringers to the hull. Make sure the wood is not wet or moist. If so, just take it out and start over. You are very close right now, you don't want to save couple of days of work only to redo it over in few years

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

If the boxes are built on top of the deck, meaning ... the deck is the floor or the bottom of these boxes, take an angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it and score the seam between the walls of these boxes and the deck. This will free the boxes so you can left them off the deck. Post some actual pictures of what you see as opposed to hand sketches so we see what you do.

If the wood core of the stringers is solid and dry, no need to replace it, Use the same cutting wheel and cut out the de laminated fiberglass (From the picture, this is the portion of the fiberglass that extended to the hull) be careful not to score the hull itself... grind the fiberglass that still has good bond with the wood to rough it up a little... clean with Acetone and use two or 3 layers of 1708 to reglass the stringers to the hull. Make sure the wood is not wet or moist. If so, just take it out and start over. You are very close right now, you don't want to save couple of days of work only to redo it over in few years

The fish boxes are basically level with the floor. The deck boxes are raised and have two batteries underneath them (stern storage boxes). I was just going through your build i noticed your transom was yellow and wet as is mine. Trying to decide if i need to do it or not. I know hand held sketches aren't the best will take some photos of said boxes when i have a chance and post them up. That was actually part of the fuel tank tub and was not attached to the hull. It was more of resting on the center stringer and suspended from the deck. When i plan to rebuild the tub i will probably use bulkheads instead to create the tub. Will post picture of this.

Attachments

• photo253082.jpg
    photo253082.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
So I had to put a hold on this project. Jeep decided it wanted to break an upper control arm mount so will be taking care of that first. Hopefully will be back on this in a couple weeks will be posting more as it progresses.