Stringer repair 97 Angler 204wa

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Driliing a half dozen 3/8" holes in your transom will NOT weaken it. Almost every forum member has done it on their boats. IF, you discover light colored shavings, as SD described, then YES fill them with PB and carry on. I certainly hope that's the case but...I suspect a 19 year old boat that has suspicious maintenance will have transom issues. If you find that the transom Needs to be replaced, report back and we'll tell you the easiest method for removing the old one and installing the new one. The 2nd link in my signature line has some good info on how to do your repairs.;)

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like a plan I have read to drill about 1/4in deep 3/8ths seems kind of a big bit. But I'll give it a go this weekend. As far as maintenance on the boat was far it was fathers always washed down and kept on dry dock not a slip. It has been sitting out of the water for aboutique 4 5 years now. I have been watching this guy Friscoboater on you tube renovating his 95 22 foot sea ray. He did full stringer transom and floor video really helps lol. IL report back and let you guys know what I find! Thanks for the help!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Your transom is 1 1/2" thick put some tape on the drill bit at the 1" mark and drill 1 " deep. 1/4" won't tell you anything. 3/8" holes won't hurt a thing. You need to drill down low and then about 6" up in several places to get a good idea what, if anything, is going on. You're worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried over. You won't hurt your transom. It's a fiberglass boat and ANYTHING can be fixed. FriscoBoater started here on the forum. Most of the things he's talking about on his YouTube channel he learned here on this forum. We have some of the most knowledgeable people, on boats, anywhere in the World. You ARE in the right place if you want to learn how to repair your boat in the bets way.:nod:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1/4" deep just breaks thru the fiberglass. you need to go at least 1" deep, and about a 3/8" hole as stated above.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Ok sounds like a plan! Thanks again guys! IL be doing that Sunday along with grinding some down.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Also glad I watching we those videos for nothing! He mentioned iboats several times throughout his build. Glad I am in the right place!

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Had some free time at work so drilled some holes wood was light in color felt like natural moisture in the wood. Not sure why but it is now limiting me on how big my photos are. It's only 1.2mb! Little frustrated!

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Also plan on going to home Depot tomorrow and picking up a moisture meter.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

so as i far as i can tell from drilling today the transom looks ok

Attachments

• photo252320.jpg
    photo252320.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252321.jpg
    photo252321.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First pic is wet wood, second pick is moist wood. Not good. You may be able to strip the inner skin off the transom and dry it out, however that would take weeks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've seen worse...I've seen better. Here's the deal...once the wood get's wet it will eventually rot. You may have a few years left in her but...since you're already gunna be there with the removal of the deck and stringers, I'd recommend doing the transom too.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
Well I am in no rush with this project. I want to fix it and fix it right the first time. My goal was to have it in the water this time next year. And or at least have the stringers reattached before winter... all well back to the drawing board I will still be cutting up the deck this Sunday and maybe grinding some more. Trying to come up with a plan to remove the motor as well.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
So looks like we will be getting some rain sunday so won't be able to get any work done. But good news is I'm picking up an engine hoist on Saturday so will set that up saturday night and get back to work on it next week.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
looks like we have some good weather Sunday picked up an engine hoist will be cutting up the floor and hanging the engine going to be a fun Sunday!

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
So got part the floor removed today and hung the engine. Really not impressed with angler boats construction of this boat. I plan I writing them about this issue I have found. When I pulled the deck up I found they used 3x6 inch pieces of wood sandwiched in between a couple layers of glass. Will post pictures of the stuff later. Also found the deck was rotted as well. Guess I'm just adding to the list at this point.... not happy.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
So got part the floor removed today and hung the engine. Really not impressed with angler boats construction of this boat. I plan I writing them about this issue I have found. When I pulled the deck up I found they used 3x6 inch pieces of wood sandwiched in between a couple layers of glass. Will post pictures of the stuff later. Also found the deck was rotted as well. Guess I'm just adding to the list at this point.... not happy.

That's not uncommon is some parts of the country.

Fvspiker

Seaman Apprentice
I mean the floor had to come up anyway to get there I'm just pissed about the cheap construction the used. Also found out that angler is no longer around. Guess they got taken over and the boat builders had a fall out. So now I'm starting to remove the pour foam probably won't start grinding until next year it's starting to get chilly out up here.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Fv,
We are all amazed when we find out the poor quality of workmanship on production boats. Very common like Ond says. The best part is when your done its better than factory. Save your stamp and letter. Alot of the time it's also related to the PO not keeping up with care for the boat.
KC