I've joined the rotten transom club

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been looking at a 435 marine polyester. No need for the vinyl ester from what ive researched. Im ordering some epoxy to glue transom as epoxy is needed for this step?

Ive been reading about this all morning. Please bear with these newb questions😕

I need to do a lot more video watching, im feeling better about this process.

Labor day wknd i did reglass my dog house but used a bondo gel product and some csm. It wasnt the best stuff to work with but i think it was good practice. Cant wait to get some real work done

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Heres some rot pics and of the doghouse. I wish i wouldve gotten before pic, the wood was crumbling away falling in bilge. Much better now

Attachments

• photo252994.jpg
    photo252994.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • photo252995.jpg
    photo252995.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo252996.jpg
    photo252996.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1
  • photo252997.jpg
    photo252997.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The doghouse i relined with new ply and fiberglassed hinge side and tabbing in sides. Its sturdier than before. I was pleased with my results considering the terrible bondo jelly.

The ski locker has bilge water. I hate the pvc pipe into bilge but guess you need it incase of rain. I cant wait to have a clean ski locker.

Unfortunately i think i have no choice but to decap in order to get under the front bowrider section. This is something i never wanted to do as i have to tow it to my shop at work to work on and dont think leaving in parkinv lot is an option

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ugh, I agree with you. Removing the cap is not something I ever want to do. I have a lot of respect for guys who take a rebuild that far. 👍

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Epoxy not needed, pb with poly is enough.

I got a fairly good marine poly resin with much lower styrene emissions (40% less); cant imagine the stink of a full styrene resin!!

As far as taking its head off, frisco boater didnt need to decap his bowrider to do the whole floor, sure u need to? Do what you can first, then assess how much room you can make do with.

atv_freak

Seaman Apprentice
I don't see how it would be possible not to pull the cap on these boats... I'd say there is less than a 12-15" of space from the very bottom of the keel to the top of the floor at the steering wheel area. I can't imagine trying to crawl in there to do any work in that space.

Having to tow the boat while working on it does throw a wrench into things... but the actual removal of the cap was pretty easy on my boat. Only took a couple hours and that was me doing it pretty much all myself (my wife did help by placing boards between the cap/hull while I lifted it). Now I haven't reattached the cap yet... so that whole fitment process is still an unknown to me!

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I don't see how it would be possible not to pull the cap on these boats... I'd say there is less than a 12-15" of space from the very bottom of the keel to the top of the floor at the steering wheel area. I can't imagine trying to crawl in there to do any work in that space.

Having to tow the boat while working on it does throw a wrench into things... but the actual removal of the cap was pretty easy on my boat. Only took a couple hours and that was me doing it pretty much all myself (my wife did help by placing boards between the cap/hull while I lifted it). Now I haven't reattached the cap yet... so that whole fitment process is still an unknown to me!

I actually rebuilt my 16' Capri from the stringers up with out removing the cap. To be 100% honest, I didn't know that I could remove it. I did this rebuild 5 years ago prior to discovering this awesome forum. I just dug in and learned as I went, right or wrong. Someday I'll post that project here for all to see, and (gasp) give constructive criticism, lol. If I had it to do again, I doubt I would remove the cap. Obviously my opinion.

Last edited:

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Atv_freak, how did you end up lifting cap off? I like your idea of boards underneath to give something to grab for lifting. I may use a tractor, did you grab a few guys to help?

atv_freak

Seaman Apprentice
I haven't actually lifted it all the way off yet. I tied a board to the top side of the grab bars (front and back) and then used a jack/4x4 post to do the heavy lifting of actually separating the cap from the hull. Once it was separated, I used the jack to lift one side and then I lifted the other so my wife could slide the wood between the cap and the hull.

My neighbor has a tractor so I'll probably try enlisting him to help when I'm ready to actually remove the cap all the way.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Got any pics of the back of your boat from the inside with the doghouse cover removed??

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got any pics of the back of your boat from the inside with the doghouse cover removed??

I dont think i do, i actually ran it for quite a while just fishing with a buddy no family activities. It is so hard to do any motor work with it and seat frame back there. My next boat needs easier access.