Seat Conversion.

ThatWelderGirl

Recruit
I've been searching the web and now I'm confused...I'm wanting to change the front seats, the ones that fold down in our 87' Bayliner to captains chairs. Mainly for more room in the boat. By possibly doing so, does it effect anything? I've read that it could cause floatation problems. I've also read where people just went ahead and converted.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I don't see how it would cause floatation problems. I have seen many people change seats like that. I say go for it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It can only change the flotation if they're currently filled with foam.

ThatWelderGirl

Recruit
It can only change the flotation if they're currently filled with foam.

Foam as in the cushions themselves? Or foam as in the box like structure that they are on? For instance, if I take the box out and put in pedestal captians chairs it could be effected? Or do the seat cushions themselves hold some sort of floatation value?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
foam as in the "box" bases the seats mount to. some are filled with pour-in. Some are accessible as storage and some are just sealed off boxes of air.

Really depends on what the manufacturer did as to what effects you may have.

They generally do not count seat cushions as flotation foam for the boat ad it kind of expected for the cushions to float free, possibly being usable in a pinch as life preservers (even though they wouldn't be coast guard approved... you grab whatever floats.)

you do have to check that the deck you will bolt the seat mounts to is solid enough for the loads....

ThatWelderGirl

Recruit
If by chance there is nothing in the box base, then I'm ok? Or by removing the "boxed air" could be a potential problem...

Thank you for the reply.

Ned L

Commander
I do not believe the C.G. would ever consider "boxed air" as part of the calculated flotation, so you should be fine without them if they are empty. ...... Otherwise the manufacturers would just be sealing empty compartments and getting away with calling it 'floatation'.
It has to be something that can be punctured and still be buoyant to call it floatation.