whitecap t handle latch install

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey all, i have a question. i purchased some whitecap T Handle latches for my boat project. i'm getting ready to put them on a cover made of 3/4' plywood. I plan to carpet this piece. i'm not quite sure how to install the latch. Normally, I would cut the carpet and wrap it though the round hole and staple to the underside. This obviously makes the cutout hole a smaller diameter (directions say 2.5 inch diameter hole). Also, it renders the gasket useless. If I put the gasket on the underside of the ply the carpet would hold water against the edge. What's the proper procedure for installing these through a carpeted deck?? Here's a link to the latch.....

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say, find a piece of pvc or similar that has the 2.5 inner diameter. Cut hole slightly larger than outer diameter, tuck carpet just enough to round the edge of the wood. That way you can glue pvc in place, the carpet will look nice and the gasket will seal against the smooth surface

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would say, find a piece of pvc or similar that has the 2.5 inner diameter. Cut hole slightly larger than outer diameter, tuck carpet just enough to round the edge of the wood. That way you can glue pvc in place, the carpet will look nice and the gasket will seal against the smooth surface

Thanks for the advice. That seems like a lot of work. Anyone done this with carpeted hatch covers with good results?