Thinking about picking up this project...

beefarmer

Cadet
So I'm looking for a project boat that I can learn a few things on, maybe some fiberglass work, etc, that I haven't done before.

Guy I know told me about an '86 Blue Water 18' Open Bow with a trailer ... has a mercruiser 170. They say itt runs, but there are a few soft spots on the floor, and the interior is a disaster. I have not seen this boat personally.

They're asking 2500, which is crazy. Thinking about offering a grand and making it into a good project for the winter. This would make a good runabout for our family to use for water sports as we look for a larger cruiser to be the 'cabin on the lake'.

Besides, mother in law is coming to town for a while, and I need something to keep me busy and out of the house... how can I go wrong?

Any opinions? Is $1k too much? Too low?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
An iffy motor and rotten wood, sounds like something you should avoid. Even free its not a good deal.

beefarmer

Cadet
Yes, it's a 4 cylinder, so I assume the 470. Again, haven't seen the boat yet.

If you would, can you educate me on the issues with that motor?

beefarmer

Cadet
An iffy motor and rotten wood, sounds like something you should avoid. Even free its not a good deal.

The rotten wood is honestly half of the attraction. I'd like to learn how to fix it on a boat I don't care too much about. The 'iffy motor' part is the concerning part for me.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Finding a boat with rotten wood and a better motor and out drive is easy, there are hundreds for sale advertised as "turn key ready".

If you want a project, do research on motors and outdrives and decide what you want, then find the best hull with that system.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't take that boat even if it was free. Do a search on Mercruiser 470. It is a disaster engine. Problems with head gaskets, charging system, cam seal leaks...

Add in the hull itself and you have a boat that would cost you more than something in perfect condition after you poured money and time into it.

beefarmer

Cadet
Well, appreciate the feedback ... found a number of threads in the engine section of the forums. Sounds like a '$1k is $2k too much' type of boat.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Well, appreciate the feedback ... found a number of threads in the engine section of the forums. Sounds like a '$1k is $2k too much' type of boat.
You got it! Ol? hen I look for a project boat l, there has to be something going for it. This boat doesn't. I either need a very nice interior and hull with a bad motor. Or a perfect motor and bad interior. Both can't be bad or it's not worth it imo