Major Hull Repair

LGBoater22

Recruit
All,
Been a forum member for just under a year...done a lot of reading but never posted. I have a 1981 Cruisers Inc Baron SX 222. Lots of sentimental value as it was our 1st family boat back when I was a kid. After my Dad passed, I went looking for it and found it. Now I own it again and am trying to rebuild it, not necessarily restore to original. After gutting it, I'm literally at square 1! Ok...you' re all up to speed!
I have a major hull issue now and need guidance. The boat is gutted except for a few stringers and some foam. I recently discovered quite a few soft spots on the hull leading me to the conclusion that the wood core or sections of it are bad for approx the aft 8 feet of the boat. Water meter also shows water up front but hammer test sounds ok. Any other boat, I prob trash but this is Dad's boat and want to know if its possible to fix/replace the core from the inside? Not on a timeline and not afraid of hard work...just don't want to dump a ton of money into a hull that is not structurally viable. Also want to make the right decision and not an emotional one.

Any help?

Thx
R

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It is possible to fix it, but the cost and hassle is probably more than what you would want to endure.

You need to remove all the core, then replace it and re-glass everything, its not fun work. Also, the hammer test isn't very accurate, people frequently think there's no water or rot only to find a mess when they dig deeper

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
All,
I have a 1981 Cruisers Inc Baron SX 222. Lots of sentimental value as it was our 1st family boat back when I was a kid. After my Dad passed, I went looking for it and found it. Now I own it again and am trying to rebuild it, not necessarily restore to original. After gutting it,

Also want to make the right decision and not an emotional one.

Ok, shed some light on this paradox. Do you want to restore it for practical reasons or for the sentimental value of it?

As Ondarvr said, it is a lot of work. Personally, I would spend 100X whatever it cost new to restore/own something my father owned but unfortunately, I can't find any. But that is me, I am a sentimental fool. What is your motive in this restore, practical or sentimental? How far are you welling to go?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes you can repair it from the inside, but...as ondarvr stated it's very time consuming and a bit harder than normal non-cored hulls. Basically it's a matter of removing the inner fiberglass skin an removing the core material(usually end grain balsa squares) Once all the bad balsa is removed you purchase NEW balsa core material (you can buy it for about $5 bucks a sq. ft. and it comes in 2' x 4' sections) and replace it with Epoxy resin and then lay new glass down on top to seal it all in. I may not sound so bad but it is quite involved to get it done right. With the sentimental value you may want to take it on, and if you do, we'll be here for you. The cost is more for epoxy and the balsa core, but if it were my Dads boat...I'd do it in a heartbeat!!!

These may be helpful...

http://www.fiberglassics.com/fibergl...lacement-guide

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...30#post3723030

LGBoater22

Recruit
Want to restore for sentimental value but also want to have it be completely functional in the end. Willing to go the distance but, like I said, I need to put the work & resources into something that is structurally viable. I guess I should start by peeling back the interior fiberglass an see what I get. Never done this before but guess I really can't do too much more damage. Agree with Ondarvr, so will probably plan on a complete peel back of the fiberglass rather than trying to evaluate and do sections. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Set a circular saw at about 1/4" depth and cut out a 2x2 section to start with. this will tell you how thick the material is and get you started.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

It won't be easy to replace the balsa corr, however it can be done

LGBoater22

Recruit
Thanks all. Its all good info...I'm gonna give it a try and will let you know how it goes. Thx again.

R