1968 silverline restoring

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

I am new to the forum. I just joined today. I have a 1968 Silverline boat with a 1960 evinrude 75 hp motor that I bought in April of this year. Working on it since. I am looking to get it into working condition. I came here to this forum to get some advice on some things.

First, there is a hole in the hull about the size of a quarter, making this boat leak when on the water. I made a temporary patch out of flex seal and duct tape, it works, but I want to get the job done properly. Any Ideas on how to do this?

Second, the motor does not have any spark going to the spark plugs. I looked into this for months and found that there is no electricity coming out of the coil to the distributor cap. I think I am not putting the coil in properly, because I took out the old one which was bad and replaced it with a new one. Can anyone help me with this?

I will try to post pictures later.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Jared

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard ! Fiberglass hull ? Pics will help ... As far as the motor I can't help much but start a tread over in the J/E section and the guys over there can get ya going ... :welcome:

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

For some reason I cannot upload pictures due to a technical problem with my camera. It is a fiber glass hull, the hole is about the size of a quarter. Any way to patch it you think?

Jared

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

I do not have access to the hole from the inside, unfortunately. The deck I would say is only fair. A few soft spots here and there, seats missing but I fixed that.

Thanks for the links!

Jared

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Soft deck spots = bad stringers, bulheads and transom...Ouch says EYE.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
PS Welcome a board! And get some pics in. Lots of guys here to help out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Boats of this vintage need a LOT of TLC. There could be major structural issues below the deck that could cause your boat to be unsafe. I recommend checking everything out before taking her out .

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

I do plan on checking everything. I want to be safe on the water. The problem is, I am trying to post pictures, but an error message keeps popping up. Do not know what the problem is there.

Anyway, someone here mentioned bad stringers, bullhead, and transom. How exactly do I check that? I think I will take a break from the motor until I get a spark tester.

I bought the boat off craigslist for $300.00 dollars. Needs a lot of work, but I needed something to work on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jared

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hi JN, Here's a good link about what rot can do by frisco boater.He's also an iboat member; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i4js6oHozc
Also check out at the top of the forum the "How to's" WOG posting.
I think one of the better ways to check for wood rot is to use a 3/8 or smaller drill bit. Find some concealed spots and make a slow penetration. Bring back the drill with the wood shavings on the bit. If it's damp it' wet. You can do this to the transom too. The holes can be quick fixed if you decide to keep the wood intact based on your results.
Soft spots on deck usually mean something below has already been comprimised. Alot of rot starts from the bottom up.
Get those pics.

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

I couldnt get pictures no matter how hard I try, so I made a video instead. I hope that works. I also hope that by looking at the boat that you can understand my problem a little better. If the link doesnt work, I will try another, but anyway, this is my boat. I also describe all the problems I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jared

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Open a Free Photobucket account, upload your pics, then copy and paste the IMG Code to iBoats.

Based on your video, I'm pretty sure you have issues under the deck. Also are those Cracks in the bottom of the boat in the area of the hole???
Not a Mek-A-Nek so no help with the motor. Post those issues in the Johnson/Evinrude forum.

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

Those cracks are in the area of the hole. Should I try to seal them as well? I know, this boat needs a lot of work.

Thanks for letting me know about under the deck!

Jared

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Kinda looks like it took a pretty good hit on the bottom from something or maybe the damage came from rotten stringers and too much weight on that roller ... Looks like it's pushed in if I'm seeing right ...
It can be fixed though.. The old rotten deck will have to be removed .. If you plan on bringing this boat back to life it's gunna be a good bit of work . imho ..
But it's fiberglass so there is nothing there that can't be fixed ....
I would suggest doing what Woodonglass said and get a free photobucket account to post picks ... Makes it really simple ...

jnicholes

Cadet
Hello!

I know its gonna be a LOT of work, but thats what I need right now, something to do.

Thanks for all the help! I will certainly work on it better now that I know what to do! I will post more questions if I have them.

Jared