1964 Chris Craft Challenger 36ft - Help Please

mfjames737

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 64 challenger via lien/auction. there are some immediate repair I must accomplish but am not sure where to begin.

Looking for some advise/direction please. FullSizeRender.jpg pic 1.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

first, I would suggest PM'ing a mod to move this to the hull repair forum

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair

second, at the top of every forum is a sticky or a few of them. these are topics that the moderators stuck to the top of the forum because they have great information

here is the sticky at the top of the boat restoration forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

I suggest you read links 14, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in that order. link 14 will give you the information needed to tackle any fiberglass repair. the others give you the remainder of information needed.

the damage you show is only slightly more than a cosmetic issue. I would be more concerned about your boats hull and structure.

If you get into a bind, ask questions, as the main reason for the forum is to help the next guy and have a bit of fun doing it.

mfjames737

Recruit
Thank you for the direction Scott, I had the hull surveyed and the structure is sound. only suggestion was possibly looking at a bottom repaint within next couple years.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would repaint sooner than later. scraping sea life and oysters off a hull sucks (usually involves a 7" grinder with 80 grit and a lot of swearing, followed by patching gouges, more sanding, then starting the bottom painting process)

Ned L

Commander
I suspect that is more than just fiberglas repair you are looking at. The trunk cabin is fiberglas over wood, and given the general condition of what I can see in the pictures I would be surprised if you don't have at least some work to do under the fiberglas first.

Hmmmm,...... 52 year old Chris Craft with a double planked bottom that doesn't need anything. ... Either work has already been done or you are fortunate.

Where do you have the boat???? Bottom paint on a wooden boat is much more important than on a 'glass boat (Esp. In warmer salt water environments)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Ned L. With Ned in your corner you will have some excellent advice coming your way.

mfjames737

Recruit
The boat is currently located SF bay area.
Thank you all for the responses, Due to winter being around the corner, my current timeframe for a haul out and bottom paint is next spring.

Ned L

Commander
Do you have any idea when she was last out of the water?

Unless you are ready to get into potentially some real work right now I'd suggest doing something to stop additional water from entering those splits in the 'glass. A quick Polyester resin and cloth patch, or even duct tape will help. Keep in mind that when you stop more water from getting in you also stop any water from getting out (the wood beneath will stay wet and be perfect for rot spores to grow).
The old fiberglass should be stripped off as soon as possible and replaced, but be prepared for some significant repair work below.

Can we see some pictures of the rest of the boat. What engines are in her?

Last edited: