Boat preparation for storing in Salt Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. This was my first year with my boat and we took it out in the bay way more than I thought we would. We have decided that next year we are going to rent a slip in the bay instead of trailering it all the time. My question is, do I need to do any preparation to the hull or engine for it to be sitting in the ocean for 6 months? In the past, this boat was always docked in a fresh water pond for the summer, I think its first time in the salt water was this year. Do I need to put any type of special paint on it? I know that every time I use it saltwater now, I flush the engine with fresh water on the muffs and give the boat a bath, obviously not going to be doing that next year. Will I need to pull it out every few weeks to do that or can I just leave it there? I know it's early to begin thinking of this stuff with this season (i'm in RI) not over yet, but I like to plan ahead. Boat is an 18' Maxum 1800SR with a 2010 3.0 Mercruiser on it. Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive.

Thanks for any info!!
Dave

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Admin, can you please remove? Moved this over to the general questions area....can't seem to delete or edit it here.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
To answer a few of your questions.

For mooring your boat on salt water, you will most likely want to use an ablative bottom paint. This will require a barrier coat, followed by about 3 coats of anti foul paint.

You will need to keep up with your zinc maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.