1971 17' Bell Boy Runabout

Pusher

Lieutenant
I think I worked things out with the starter. After watching a youtube video I learned that these bendex don't get "plunged" up rather they are flung up with torque/centrifugal force by spinning on the spiral threaded shaft.

After locking into the flywheel and cranking until the motor starts, you release the key which lets the bendex synch up with the starter's speed and fall into place.

Anyway, the gent in the 16 minute video explained that if the bendex is greasy it is sticky, and if it's sticky at some point it will never get flunge and rather stay locked to the spiraled shaft. I took his tips by taking the greasy bugger apart and wiping it clean. I ran out of daylight by the end but I think this will solve my problems. Seems like a good bi-annual maintenance item.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've had a starter stick in the exact same way. Sticky old grease.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Oh boy, the brown truck just notified me of delivery! Speedo tubing kit and in-tank fuel filter just showed up. I might try to make a run for the nearest dock!
:)

Pusher

Lieutenant
I have been slacking on the photo end of things but hope to become one of the monkeys in tomorrow's zoo and splash.

My spare tire caught my attention yesterday. It was a 2014 towmaster (greenball... Chinese junk) mounted late last fall after buying online. I am now at Les Schwab. The whole tire was cracked about as bad as I've ever seen. The tread was splitting out, the sidewalls were shot, I think that was the worst online purchase I've ever made.

I'm nervous because my two main tires were from the same purchase but are a year older. There's no cracks but tomorrow may be a bad day if they both blow out on me. šŸ˜«

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good luck on the splash ! Been debating on putting mine in but I still have sooo much other stuff to do ....

Pusher

Lieutenant
Yeah I wanted to splash two months ago. You kind of know at the back of your mind you might not finish if you don't get everything done first. I think that way at least :)

I've been closely following your kitchen remodel but I think I've missed your build thread this whole time. I'll have to check it out! If it's anythig like your tile work I'll be impressed.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I mentioned bolting a new-to-me motor on the boat a couple months ago. That seems to have worked out. It's a 1975 Evinrude 50 hp.

While tackling a couple other minor issues on the list, I made up a transom plate to mount my depth finder and speedometer's pitot pickup to (new speedometer mounted also). Here's some pictures of what I did there.

image_266308.jpg

image_266310.jpg

image_266309.jpg

image_266311.jpg

I decided I better add two extra tee nuts in case I have need for them in the future... that's what the two extra holes are down the middle.

IMG_20170731_191813991_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Earlier this week I solved my issue of securing the foot kick up by the captain's chair. I've been thinking of ways to latch it off-and-on for a couple months now and finally hit a success.
image_266312.jpg
I drilled then cut to size

image_266313.jpg
then chucked it up to the drill press

image_266314.jpg
Using a file, I shaved the end and beveled the corners

image_266315.jpg
I think it turned out alright

image_266316.jpg

image_266317.jpg
Watermann, you may notice the drill guide you recommended. Thanks for the tip, it's been put to good use, including drilling the holes for the new motor. :thumb:

Unfortunately, after buying the bar stock and drilling, I realized I was recreating a universal clevis pin... :facepalm: oh well.

Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
I also mounted up the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]-hand canvas top. I think I'm going to try making a new top out of some sunbrella material since the original is pretty stiff. Has anyone had experience with making their own canvas tops? I’ve seen a couple youtubes, but someone’s experience from here would be great!
image_266320.jpg

Well I made it to the lake on Saturday at about 9am. I made a fool of myself trying to launch the bellboy by myself, but somehow I managed through the embarrassment.
image_266321.jpg

She fired right up and idled smoothly. I shifted into gear and puttered upwind away from the marina and then gave it WOT after a couple minutes. Everything ran perfectly! Yipee!!! I needed that to be honest.
image_266322.jpg

There's my ugly mug and a better lookin bass.

I had a 2-3 pouder bite, a 1.5 pounder pop off at the gunnel, and then this one and a dink.

The big boy (or the 3 foot walleye I saw swim by) would have been cool, but this one was rewarding enough, and with some pancake mix and Johnnie's, tasted delicious.

image_266323.jpg

All-in-all, it was a beautiful day.

Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
It was a pleasure to be out on memorial weekend enjoying the fresh air, blue skies and freedom we take for granted every other weekend.
To those who have served, are serving, and will be serving thank you for giving up your freedoms, and making the sacrifices that allow civilians like myself to be free and live as we see fit. Without your sacrifices, the Bellboy boat company would likely not exist, my opportunity to work on it would likely never be realized, and the members on this board would probably not have been here to help me along my way.

Some may disagree on the decisions, battles or wars, but I think we can all agree that we all appreciate the sacrifices of those who have carried out each of those orders, battles and wars.

:usa2:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey congrats on the splash - she looks just fine!! what a great feeling to have a successful first launch, and catch dinner!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thanks gsxrdan! It definitely was šŸ˜ƒ I'm certainly not putting a candle to some of the restores on here, but it feltā€‹ good saving a good boat from a bad ending.

I just skimmed through your thread and you did a very nice job! Brought it back to better than new condition. Glad I could share the splash week with you :)

Thanks Arch, certainly not as nice as yours either, but I learned a lot on the build and from everyone here as I went.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Has anyone seen an electronic trolling motor setup for the ez-steer bracket? I google searched for a while with no luck of such a device. I even looked for bicycle handlebar products

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on the splash !!! Looks like a great time on the lake !
Glad ya put another one of these old classics back in action !!

fiberformbl

Cadet
Hi Pusher. This is a great thread! And I am especially excited to see it because I just got a 1970 Bell Boy Bonneville that is almost the same as yours, and it needs work. It is even the same color as yours, but missing the walk-through windshield (I wish it had walk-through). It has the under-deck fuel tank near the transom, but looks like it had a tank in the bow previously - I like the idea of having the weight in the bow and want to revert to the bow tank like you did. Your post is great, but I cannot see most of the photos - would there be some way to fix the photo postings here? I would love to be able to see the photos along with your narration here.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Hi Pusher. This is a great thread! And I am especially excited to see it because I just got a 1970 Bell Boy Bonneville that is almost the same as yours, and it needs work. It is even the same color as yours, but missing the walk-through windshield (I wish it had walk-through). It has the under-deck fuel tank near the transom, but looks like it had a tank in the bow previously - I like the idea of having the weight in the bow and want to revert to the bow tank like you did. Your post is great, but I cannot see most of the photos - would there be some way to fix the photo postings here? I would love to be able to see the photos along with your narration here.

Haha, I think I could manage to clean it up. And thanks for the compliment. I think you're the first to come along with a Bellboy in a while so I have been procrastinating :)

You wouldn't by chance have your plaque for weights and other ratings would you?

I'll post here when I get it updated (probably tomorrow)

fiberformbl

Cadet
I thought I replied to this but it did not post. This one has a lot of what seems to be original trim, but I don't see a plaque anywhere. I don't think I missed it but do you know where it should be located?

fiberformbl

Cadet
From what I can tell from reading and looking, I think this has no wood in stringers ("Webcor construction" - sticker still on the side of the boat) and possible no wood in the transom - do you know if that is true of the models around 1970?

Pusher

Lieutenant
I don't know the models very well, but I think your transom will be wood. You can see it by looking under the splashwell and should be able to tell.

Your stringers should be like mine with very think fiberglass ridges that the floor (sole) is screwed to.

I didn't get my photos updated but I'll try tonight.