93 Wellcraft 196 SC - Bare hull rebuild

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hmm I'm not sure I understand because now the water in the center wont drain out will it?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No it won't but at least the channels give flow front to back instead of not being able to. Someone will build a better mousetrap Mick. Just a matter of time.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now ALL the water can drain out, theres a channel under the fuel tank, this device allows water to flow from front, under ft to back, without the foam interfering with flow. Will make another device today for the seat compartment drainage, and take some better pics for description.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
While it cooks, heres the setup for the next "drainage cap":

Template mocked up

Plastic bagged

and csm'd

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ohok you are filling that area with foam as well? I thought that was your foot well for your cabin area

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Little bit of glassing in and all ready for foam and a deck!

all those lil ropes lead to leather discs blocking the drain holes

like this

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Condensation can only occur in a cavity. IF the foam is poured correctly there should be very few voids and if there are some they will be miniscule. Also the foam, once fully cured has a kind of hard "Plastic Like" shell on the outside that will prevent any absorption into the center portions of the foam. IF the hull was not foam filled then I agree that condensation would be a problem. But...Just an Old Dumb Okie's opinion soooo... Not Gospel!!!!;)

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Woodonglass, or anyone else who knows stuff - should the deck be moulded flush with the engine bay, and glass wrapped over the lip?

shes foamed to the gills now...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah man just to let ya know I used 1708 bias across my whole deck because aint none of us 100 lbs and rolled it down into engine bay. I feel most floors crack because they just cant handle the weight we put on them, but going with 1708 I felt that floor will never crack :)

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
we dont get 1708 here in aus (not that i could find) but i am going with 2 layers 1.5 oz csm and 1 of 27oz roving

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
the wife and i sat in the boat and had an intelligent conversation tonight (thats right, we made motor boat noises)

and these tools are the real heroes of the build - that metabo grinder is something else, i pulled it apart for a service last week and its an impressive quality tool! a little dust off and good as new. Old school makita router - it was my grandads, he bought it 30 years ago when he rebuilt a sunken river cruiser, now the legacy continues... and of course the dewalt saw, blessed be thy blade :hail:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yep great tools there , I have been finding lately though even for a cheap tool maker Ryobi seems to be holding up well and the tools are very comfortable to use.
was the wife fine with copilot or did she demand a turn driving whilst you had to make the noise? :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
ahhhh that sound is all I'm waiting for! Getting real close there GX you r. And in regards to your boat it's great to always have your wife/pilot/co-pilot on your side.:joyous:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah the wife joined in, but she was only running on 6 cylinders...

And i like the ryobi cordless range (same battery pack 4 all the tools) But when the blade fell off my brand new ryobi circ saw, i swore against ever buying a corded tool from them! (thus the dewalt, hallowed be thy blade)