93 Wellcraft 196 SC - Bare hull rebuild

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thats a lot of progress. Did you screw stringers together where they meet bulkheads or just glue them? Whats the plan for transom bolt holes to seal against water? I'm guessing anything can be better than factory. They prob just drill and leave bare

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
how many layers of matt/cloth are you doing? I see a lot of matt but no cloth ... just wondering your layup schedule very nice work btw!

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thats a lot of progress. Did you screw stringers together where they meet bulkheads or just glue them? Whats the plan for transom bolt holes to seal against water? I'm guessing anything can be better than factory. They prob just drill and leave bare

Glued together with resin. theyre all notched so its a self supporting unit. Bolt holes will be packed with pb and re-drilled smaller, then marine sealant round the bolts.

Laying down the roving now, ill just do 1 layer i think, its 800g m2, 28oz. If i need 2 layers of the roving thats fine, its way easier than the csm.

Btw, just cracked the 3rd box of 100 gloves, finished 1kg of chopped strand, and emptied the first 25kg pail of resin.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whew, what a day! Stuck down about 8m of roving, plus a few more metres of csm. Transom has several layers all around, and several layers sticking it to the stringers. The bulkheads are fully encased; just a few bits to finish this lot off tomorro; then Ill pb in the front main bulkhead and the front stringers and their joining components; and the floors(ribs).

A LOT of work done, and a LOT of work still to go!

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Decided to install the engine mounts while the stringer glass was still fresh; came up with a stress free method of holding them level while the pb could kick off.

Also ground off all the roving dags, those spikes are like little daggers!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
man those roving splinters suck! when I was removing all of wellcrafts junk I got nabbed a couple times! I cried but no one was looking so all good :)

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
man those roving splinters suck! when I was removing all of wellcrafts junk I got nabbed a couple times! I cried but no one was looking so all good :)

lol, im not admitting to anything! but my eyes mite have leaked due to grinding dust...

Soz about the foto quality, but the fone flash aint so... flash

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a few steps involved, 2 layers of roving and 2 of csm, and tabbing underneath:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hells yeah!!

Were right in the middle of what they're calling a 50 year storm - yesterday the entire state was in blackout, it was 10 hours before the power came back on (at around midnight) - but did a little weather phenomenon stop me glassing? :laugh: No way!! I strung up a couple of tarps around the carport and damn near finished the rear section. Tomorro should be able to install the front bulkhead and front strigers and be ready to drop the main deck down

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
So many layers on the transom and transom/stringer joint, and engine mounts. Am happy as with how solid everything feels.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot to add, just drained the second 25 kg tin of resin, and am halfway thru the 4th box of 100 gloves!!