How do I remove this bait/live well?

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1996 17FT Aluminum Lowe
I'm trying to get the bait/live well out so that I can remove the floor for some work. Its mounted on the port side. I've managed to get everything disconnected except for the bottom pipe. Not something I want to screw up! If you click on the image on the right, note that it has some indentations at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. Are those for a spanner wrench of some sort? If you've got one, can you post a pic? Or other method of removing it?

Attachments

• photo251314.JPG
    photo251314.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251315.jpg
    photo251315.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to get under the livewell and disconnect the hose. that fitting is a typical thru-hull fitting which is also glued to the bottom of the livewell.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say with the pictures. It also looks like there are four rivets or something like that also. Does those rivets show up under the hull as well? If so then removing the drain won't allow the live well to be removed. If those rivet looking things are not exposed under the hull then maybe the drain assembly will release the live well. If you can measure the nut, you could get a socket type wrench to remove it. Even a piece of PVC pipe in the correct shape could work. Is the nut part made of metal or something else? They do make a lot of different spanner wrenches for similar issues. So check some auto parts stores and see. Also. is the outside of the drain made to allow a crescent type wrench to fit on it? Some times the drain outlet has opposite sides made flat and straight to allow a crescent type wrench to hold it while tightening the inside nut. If so, you could try to spin it off from there while somebody keeps the inside nut from moving. other then that, I have no other suggestions. :noidea:

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From what I can tell, no rivets. Appear to be just shallow holes for the studs on a spanner to go into. I think I'm going to get a large set of 90 degree needle nose and try in-screwing the bottom portion and hope it's not sealed with permanent type stuff!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
this is what is under your livewell. the 2 or 4 spanner indents are intended to be used when tightened.

29-61_0.jpg

until you get under there and remove the hose, not a thing you can do from the inside

you may be able to disconnect the other end of the hose from the discharge thru-hull either on the side or the transom (where ever your livewell discharges)

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got something like that for the inlet. That's off, no sweat. The way this thing is set up, a piece of pvc pipe goes into that hole I showed. I guess when it gets full it overflows into that pipe and out the bottom. That bottom part is thru the hull, looks like a 2 piece, with the bottom outer being the nut.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Let us know how it works out. That way others can learn from your experiences as well. That's what these forums are all about. :thumb:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I've got something like that for the inlet. That's off, no sweat. The way this thing is set up, a piece of pvc pipe goes into that hole I showed. I guess when it gets full it overflows into that pipe and out the bottom. That bottom part is thru the hull, looks like a 2 piece, with the bottom outer being the nut.

sometimes thru-hulls are used like that. then there would be evidence of someone cutting the fitting off flush with the nut at the factory (and yes, the cheesy stuff done at the factory is just like the rest of us do here on iboats)

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it out. Had to go get bigger needle nose pliers, but it came right unscrewed from the bottom. Tank lifted straight up. Pipe thru tank, nut holding that tight, another nut on pipe flush against the hull and then that funny nut on the bottom. I'll post a pic shortly.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Really pretty simple. Thanks for your assistance and suggestions folks!

Attachments

• photo251350.jpg
    photo251350.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0