starcraft ss160 redo.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I'm going to do a resto next year but for this year I got rid of the front seats,etc.Ive made it into a clean open bow instead of the seats and cubby holes in the front.Much more room and as I'm a fisherman I don't care about seating up there.Ive also taken out the back to back seats and replaced with used ss190 post and swivel seats.Has anybody done what I did to the front of their ss160?I believe mine is a 76 as its rated for 85hp.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pics attract the masses 82. I'm following along if you don't mind.

82rude

Rear Admiral
All my pics would show this year is a boat in dire need of a redo I'm afraid.I was more curious if others had gotten rid of their bow space seats,etc and what they did with the space.Im going to have to do a new floor,consoles,gluvit the rivets and seams.I will be checking out the starcraft rebuilds and yours also over the winter so I can get a good starting reference for spring.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Patfromny feel a hand in rear pocket?That me stealing a couple of your ideas on page 2 of your resto.,lol.Your boat and my ss160 are really not to dissimilar.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We use our SS160 for fishing as well as cruising. We usually only have 3 people out although sometimes 4. We only have seating at the two consoles ( Fishing seats on swivels ) and the bow seating. I have added a casting deck that fits between the 2 bow seats on top of the storage wells. Here are some pics.

The casting deck. It is laying on top of the wells on the bottom I made a key of sorts to hold it in place.

Here is a pic of the consoles supporting the fishing platform for a reference.

Here is a pic of the console seating. The back is open for fishing. In the pic below you can see a door I added that flips up to and fills the hole under the windshield so I can block the wind as we go up the lake on cool evenings.

82rude

Rear Admiral
nice..Idid have a suggestion from my friend to make the front a full casting deck with doors for storage.Iwill take some pics later today but keep in mind people it needs a total redo its just a battered fishing boat now.Its my 400 dollar boat with my 7000 dollar motor,lol.Though I'm retired and money is not as free as before I figure I can fix her up for a heck of a lot less than a new boat would cost.Like I said,fishing boat,not pleasure not crusing or anything else.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Our casting deck only covers the 1 inch lip of the support well. I still have access to the storage areas under the bow cushions. My trolling motor battery is under the front bow cushion while my anchor and life jackets are under thel port and starboard bow cushions.

An added bonus to our casting deck is the covered storage area it creates in the bow. I store a tool bag and my fenders there while underway. We also have a cooler that is within an inch or so of the height of the casting deck that we keep there between the seats. It gives me a little more room and fills some wasted space by keeping the cooler out of the fishing area in the stern.

Keeping the bow seating support structure in place and doing an elevated casting deck with doors that open for storage gives you more floor space in the bow than if you just have a continuous deck height running the full lenght of the boat.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey tnstratofam, I have thought about this set up for my boat as well. Is yours removeable? Mine would have to be for when we aren't fishing. It would make my boat a whole lot more fishable though. My problem was removal but never thought about making it smaller and being able to access the under seat storage. Great idea.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Here is a blank canvas look for you. I redid that front little deck and have a bench across where the consoles were. (I use a tiller)

20150703_113111_resized.jpg

Tnstratofam

Commander
Hey tnstratofam, I have thought about this set up for my boat as well. Is yours removeable? Mine would have to be for when we aren't fishing. It would make my boat a whole lot more fishable though. My problem was removal but never thought about making it smaller and being able to access the under seat storage. Great idea.

Yep the casting deck is just setting in place. I made it out of 3/4 inch plywood so its own weight pretty much keeps it held down.

I will get some pics of the bottom when I get home this evening showing how I made a block setup on the bottom that prevents it from sliding around.

It can be removed at home if it's not wanted by simply lifting it out. Or it can be pulled out and laid flat on the main deck at the stern if on the water.

For a strictly fishing platform gones layout works really well. I would think you could do a single side console setup using his layout if you didn't want to use a tiller motor.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was looking for a removable piece that I could put in just when fishing. We use it to blast around the lake too and the bow seats are used often by the kids. While fishing, the seats make it tough to fish up there. You are facing the wrong way while sitting. Was thinking of putting a swivel seat on the platform. That would make the boat comfortable for three to fish. I have a similar base set up for the bow seats as yours so the 3/4 plywood doubled on the bottom would work well to hold the seat base screws and add support at the same time. Sorry for the hijack 82.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Made the dash out of 3/4 maple (solid).airglide compass,tach,and system check.Rubbed the dash down with Toronto Elevator pure linseed oil.The oil is most likely 50 years old.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Need complete new floor .I would like to make a hinged door at the back to access the bilge are for cleaning etc.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Business end of the boat.Transom was replaced recently and trailer is a nice legend glide on.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I like the sliding doors that starcrafts have back there. I would make two doors and hinge them to the sides if not into the sliders. Pulling that big piece of plywood up wouldn't be fun and laying it on the floor would prematurely age it and pull the screws from the hinge eventually. Sliders would be my choice though. I think chemicalwires rough and ready thread shows him making them out of plywood and metal screen and the tracks he made out of U and L angle.
His thread link is below. I think the info is somewhere near page 30. Just a guess though