Painting Aluminum Hull

ghost4g63

Recruit
I know most people will say get something with zinc-chromate, however it is extremely hard to find in my area. My question, has anyone had any success with priming their aluminum boat with rustoleum aluminum primer with a couple coats of marine paint over it and finished with a marine wax? Thanks for any help!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ghost4g63, A lot of NAPA auto parts stores sell Zinc Chromate primer. However, you could also use a SE (Self Etching) type primer on aluminum and then go from there. Seems there are a lot of different ways to accomplish painting your hull. So you have to see what is available around you and pick from those options. We all want the "best" when we do things like this and that is understandable. But one person's best is not another person's idea of best. Others will chime in on this subject for sure. JMHO

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
No word on long term durability but when I painted mine two months ago (still has not seen water) I used Sherwin Williams DTM Wash Primer and then used SW Seaguard 1000 enamel with hardener. I am very happy with the results. I am sure many others will chime in but that was my $.02

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Self etching from auto stores. Different stores may be dif. Shades. Found that out. Same stuff though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Self etching from auto stores. Different stores may be dif. Shades. Found that out. Same stuff though.

g0nef1sshn, I think once you spray your first paint job, you will have learned a ton of info about how and way and actually like spraying such project. It seems like a daunting task initially, but that is because there are so many ways to do things. But once you accomplish your first paint project, you will like it a lot. And you will start to understand even with so many types of paint (actually brands is a better word) they are very close to each other in composition. And once you see that, things get a lot clearer to figure out. I think you will do just fine. JMHO

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I painted mine already gm, i guess my response may have been short sentenced. Ghost was original poster.

But i agree with everything you said. I rolled my last project (camo for hunting). The next one i would like to spray and get more involved.

MobilePC

Cadet
Last week I tried the Zinc Chromate primer from NAPA. I previously had a supply of "the good ole stuff" from a buddy who worked at Delta Airlines - that primer was very yellow and I swear it would stick to glass! The spray cans were labeled "application by professionals only".

The product from NAPA is tan in color, after applying it to some aluminum parts per directions and allowing it to cure I applied the top coat. After drying I could easily remove it with my fingernail, right down to the aluminum. So I striped it off and washed the part with Alumiprep 33 that I had internet ordered from aircraftspruce.com for my new fuel tank previous to installation. After washing with Alumiprep, you have to rinse with Alodine (also from Aircraft Spruce). I applied both products using 2 hand operated spray bottles from Lowes and got excellent results. The Alumiprep etches the aluminum and the Alodine seals it before it can start to oxidize.

The topcoat for my parts was rattle-can paint - so not as tough as what you are likely considering for your hull. For the fuel tank I used Devtar 5A which is used to treat metal intended for under ground applications - Super tough stuff.

Last edited: