Thickness of carpet?

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 96 Lowe aluminum 17 ft
I pulled the tin floor off to put in wires and floatation.
I know I shoulda asked this in the rivets post but forgot: what thickness carpet is recommended? Will the off the shelf Home Depot indoor-outdoor work well? Is there a special adhesive?
Thanks. Yes I did do a search, didn't find what I thought I needed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Most use marine grade carpets with a solvent type glue. And the thickness really depends on what you want and like. If the carpet is too thin, it will expose the mat (backing) on corners and such. If it is too thick it is hard to make it wrap over corners and such. So you have to buy what you like. Just make sure the carpet is exterior grade or marine grade and buy what you think looks best. As for the proper adhesive, a lot of carpet places recommend a certain type. However, I like DAP Weldwood solvent adhesive brand myself. Also marine grade carpet is sold by weight. So there are lots of different weight carpets to think about 18ozs, 20ozs, 24 ozs, and even 28ozs carpets. And those refer to ozs per square yard. JMHO

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at Home Depot & Lowe's but there stuff really looks & feels cheap anymore. I had a local carpet store order me some that was a lot better grade that didn't cost that much more. For my 18' boat I think I paid $85 with tax. Some online stores wanted a fortune for there carpet & you really don't know the quality until it gets here. I wanted to see & feel what I was getting before I paid for it.
Glue I went with what WOG & gm280 suggested... the DAP Weldwood. It was a little expensive but I was assured that it wouldn't have a bad chemical reaction with the fiberglass.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I looked at Home Depot & Lowe's but there stuff really looks & feels cheap anymore. I had a local carpet store order me some that was a lot better grade that didn't cost that much more. For my 18' boat I think I paid $85 with tax. Some online stores wanted a fortune for there carpet & you really don't know the quality until it gets here. I wanted to see & feel what I was getting before I paid for it.
Glue I went with what WOG & gm280 suggested... the DAP Weldwood. It was a little expensive but I was assured that it wouldn't have a bad chemical reaction with the fiberglass.

That is a very good idea to actually see and feel the carpet that you are wanting before buying. Some online carpet places will send you samples if you ask. But whatever you do, make sure you like it. It doesn't matter if nobody else does, it is your boat. JMHO!

fishrdan

Admiral
Lowes and Home Depot (atleast in my area) can order "marine" carpet. I have seen the marine carpet sample swatches in the carpet area, but they are usually located in an obscure place.

The cheap indoor/outdoor stuff they have in the store is - cheap, and will sun rot. I have used it before on a cheap boat, but wouldn't use it on anything I was going to keep longer than a couple of years.