stringer

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Is there any specific reason you cut the transom from the outside?!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The good news is...You left ample lips for tying it all back together. A Lot of marinas do transoms using this method. It quite common on Boats over 20 ft especially if the deck and stringers are in good shape. You'll have a strong boat if you follow the proper processes re-installing it.

jmtrotter

Cadet
I had all sorts of problems getting to the rotten wood that is why i cut out the transom. Bad knee to:lol::lol::lol: thank you guys for letting me talk to you. When u talk to wife about boats they just roll there eyes:D:D.Woodonglass &deepblue,I appreciate your input.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I sure wish you did not do that. Water under the bridge for you now but for the benefit of whoever reading in the future, this is not the optimum way of cutting your transom unless you have a very strong reason to justify spending the extra efforts and expenses of going this route.

It is what it is now and it can be fixed again with added efforts and expenses. From now on, and specifically for the transom at least, plan on using epoxy resin and fabric. I would not use polyester resin on this repair.

Last edited:

jmtrotter

Cadet
Looking back I wish I did not cut the transom off or out too late. Unfortunately I jumped way ahead of myself should have took more time prepping the hull. I have to support the hull to get my measurements for my deck. It's just been so hot here can only work a little at a time.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yo yo...it's the old shoulda, coulda, woulda disease prevelant in 99% of Iboat rehabbers.. LOL, me and utters included :) You're in a good place and it'll get done one way or da utter. And be right.

Last edited:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
No regrets, ***** happens. The only reason I mentioned it is for the benefit of whoever reading this thread now or in the future.

The hull is currently out of shape - I get what you said now about the shell moved. The first course of action now is to support the hull. Put the skin back, don't glass it, just have it stand there to allow you to take measurements and make sure that the hull is true.

I would temporarily glass a couple of 2*4s across the transom width from inside the boat and another vertical one from the keel to the bottom of the cap to keep the hull in shape.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Make sure and Keep the transom skin you cut out. Clean it up and save it for when you're ready to patch it back. It will save you a lot of money and effort. I must have been dreaming. I could have swore you posted a pic of your transom cut out with 4-5 inches of original glass around the edges. If this...

is what you have then...You've got a lot of work ahead and it's gunna be hard to make it look GOOD!!! There's noting to glass to!!!:eek: I totally agree with DB that epoxy IS the way to go to restore the transom. If the outerskin tabs were as wide as the inner skin tabs you prolly could have used Poly for the repair and saved some money. You can still use poly for the stringers and deck. I'd also recommend cuttin the Inner skin tabs completely off so you can tab the new transom to the insides of the hull This IS what gives the transom the majority of it's strength

Last edited:

jmtrotter

Cadet
I guess this boat was made in 3 part system. The hull with the stringers then the floor with the gunnel and finally the cap.Is that correct?

jmtrotter

Cadet
Poking around the boat the hull did not move it was the part with the floor and gunnel.I still have my measurements of 85 in. across transom

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
And what was this measurement before and after? The hull is setting on the trailer unsupported on this dimension except by the sides. It is very possible for the hull to be deformed along the red line IMG_2041_zpsbdf5hycd.jpg

Once again, use the cutout piece as a guide. It is the only true measure from before the cut you still have. If it fits, so be it; if not see by how much. Either case, I would cut a 2*4 to the right size and temporarily glass it to keep this dimension intact during the build

jmtrotter

Cadet
the floor and gunnel moved.It seems the gunnel on the starbourd side broke loss from the hull.I have to see if i cut part of the gunnel to glass in the transom. Thank G. my mearsuement are good off one quarter inch.From the cap to the hull.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's the inner wall of the transom and what I was saying needs to be removed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's a diagram of how you will tab the new transom to the hull...
Transom Tabbings.jpgThis is why you should remove the old Inner wall. You can tab directly to the hull sides and bottom

Attachments

• Transom Tabbings.jpg
    Transom Tabbings.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1

jmtrotter

Cadet
thanks wog.I will post more of my advancement.With lots of pictures and I will ask more questions. Once again thank you and everyone for the input.

jmtrotter

Cadet
Hey guys how's everyone doing Saturday late afternoon we had a huge thunderstorm and lightning struck our cable line blowout our modem our cable box and our computer. We:joyous: got a new computer got everything up and running will try to get back on the boat and post more pictures:):):)