trailer rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i am having problems finding a LED side marker light my trailer takes the long square style tail light and none of the kits seam to have those. i have found several that are stud mounted, those wont work well with a box frame and several with a twin wire lead, i could make those work but dont really want to, may have to go back with a incandescent, i had planned of picking up some of the wire loom stuff and look around and see whats around in lighting

Well if you have to go incandescent, you can always buy LED replacement bulbs for those. Just an idea.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
tounge 1  1.JPG

ok the new harness i pulled it through using the old wires butt spiced together then added some loom at the through hole spots then used wire ties to hold them in place and on the tongue i drill a hole for the ground, the LED side markers and back to the rear lights also loom and wire ties to hole them

old wire 1.JPG

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
when i was testing the lights i found that the rear side marker light was out on one side and due to them being sealed that means i will be forced to get some of the new LED ones, snickers, i will have to wait until my check comes in though

gm280

Supreme Mariner
when i was testing the lights i found that the rear side marker light was out on one side and due to them being sealed that means i will be forced to get some of the new LED ones, snickers, i will have to wait until my check comes in though

Well where there is a will there is a way. Bravo sir bravo. LEDs it is. I mean you have to have lights on the trailer. :facepalm:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have no idea what its rated at, i am sure its the original, i will have to look and see what they come from the factory

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
the new lights came in and as expected it has plated steel hard wear, i went ahead and put them on temporary till i can make a stainless run for carnage bolts and i need new SS bolts and flats and nylocks for the license plate. i will do that in the morning and take pictures

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
picked it up and finished it did it all with SS and you can see how i wire tied it up to keep it neat and stable LED 1.JPG LED 2.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT, The only thing I would suggest is, I would clean the white wire (ground) area off to bright shiny clean metal for that connection. Then spot paint it over that connection after tightening with what ever you like. That will help keep it electrically connected for a longer time. Other then that, bravo sir on a nice trailer refurbish. :thumb:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Nice job on the refurb!

I like the ziptie job on that loom.
Did you say that aluminum spray paint was conductive? Aolax was it? I might keep that in mind for grounding points I don't want rusting up.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i am not sure about the alum rattle can paint, i used to buy a alum paint that is, we sand blasted the frames and primed painted with the stuff, it is very expensive 20 years ago it was 100 a gallon but the frame could lay out in the weather with out rusting back through it

Pusher

Lieutenant
I bet it's not even allowed in the retail market anymore :) sounds like good stuff.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well today is going to be fun, 30 mile tow empty out to my marina to load the boat, then another 30 mile tow to the camp ground and cabins and about 10 miles of it is WV back roads, and the thing is its at the same lake where my slip is, you would think that they would have docking at the camp ground cabins for their lake customers, but no its trailer it in, and i haven't been to their cabins before so i have no idea if i am going to be able to park at the cabin or leave it in the trailer parking at the boat ramp, i hate leaving my boat in a open public area, its camp ground customers and it is patrolled by the staff, but still, i have a lot of fishing gear i keep on my boat

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
ever thing went well no problems with the trailer but i did have to adjust the bunks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
sorry its taken a few days to recover and while were were out the AC compressor died while i was dropping the toon in for the second time in 2 years, but thats another storie, i kept the boat and launched ever day for 3 days and kept it in the launch ramp area, and yes its patrolled ever hour 24/7 and i just happened to park it between 2 new trailers and over the time i bumped into the other owners and they couldn't believe it was 29 years old.

the only thing i ran into is the glue i used on the mat strips on the steps let go so i think i will re do it but use 3m 5200, and i will have to repaint the glides where i took a hammer to them to adjust them

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
just sitting here looking outside looking at my boat under the shed, its 14 degrees and makes me long for summer, but i am making up my spring boat repair list because i keep it on a slip i have to get ahead of it, i launch march 15, the boat fared real well this year other than banging out a small bit of fence its good to go, the trailer is another thing, the floor mat i glued on the steps flew off so this time i will grind it back to bear metal and do the paint and sand thing, i know that will hold up and i need to make a new bunk one has carpet torn on it