trailer rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i didnt know that, i got rust oleum paint,,, would i be better off then to take the rust olum back and get the Majic Rust Kill Enamel,,,,, planning on starting tomorrow, i will start off by stripping the bunks off and the spare carrier and lights

MH, if I am not mistaken, you can use the hardener with Rustoleum as well. I think they are basically the same basic type paints. If you are seriously worried about it, you can search the net and see what both paints are made from. But I am pretty sure both are okay to use the hardener with.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i went ahead and exchanged it, its no big deal,, i will get some pictured a bit later this afternoon, you have to have before shots

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i went ahead and exchanged it, its no big deal,, i will get some pictured a bit later this afternoon, you have to have before shots

I can understand you wanting to be certain with the paint. I have heard others used the hardener with Rustoeum paints before on here though. Anyway, if you can get some good before shots, it will show your work off a lot better. JMHO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Rustoleum is ABSOLUTELY FINE with the hardener. You DON'T use hardener in the primer ONLY the Color Coats. Majic Primer HAS had issues in the past with the solids settling out of the mix and once it does there's NO fixing it. I've never had ANY issues with the rustoleum Primer and it's 100% compatible with the Tractor paint. My boat and trailer are going on 5 years with the paint and NO ISSUES!!!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
ok as promised. i spent the morning out picking up stuff and i snapped 3 to start off with, i am feeling a bit ruff went out fishing last night lol its a decent sized trailer, and i have done a bit of scraping and priming, if the weather holds i plan on starting the tear down in the morning its 1987 bear 8 x 28 pontoon trailer

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i got a bit done today. got one side stripped got he bunks off and one tire and jacked up and on a jack stand right rail 1.JPG right rail 2.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MH Hawker, yes it begins. But I think you'll do fine with this project. The trailer actually look pretty nice and solid. I will be watching for the progress shots and final results. We do like pictures. Oh, and while I am thinking about it. You can actually post all those pictures in one post if you like. You don't have to make multiple posts for them. I await more pictures. :thumb:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
the trailer is in decent shape , i put new tires and a wench strap and lights on it when i bought the boat, and 3 years ago it got new bunks and guides altho i may replace one, the carpet is torn and i am thinking on adding some pvc strips to the front 4 feet or so. it is mostly just rust and what i have seen so far is the tongue and the back cross member, the trailer and boat are 1987 and its been a trailer queen up to 6 years ago when i got it i keep the boat on a slip 9 mouths of the year, the car port came with a house i bought 2 years ago and that took me a year to get it moved and rock under it like it is now so once painted it should hold up nicely for a long time

and way it will take me a good amount of time to move it along the heat this summer has been busting my *** so my work times are from day light to around 9 am, i think tomarrow will be a pressure wash and may be the other wheel

one thing i haven't sorted out yet is the wench tower, i want to paint under it so it will have to come off, i am working by my self and i am sure its heavy i am thinking on breaking out my chain ratchet to lift it off and adding a strap ratchet to one side to swing it out of the way then i should be able to paint the frame and the bottom of the stand and then put it back in place, the steps need new rubber or a paint and sand mix not sure about that yet, the bow stops are composite pvc i added when i did the bunk job, i will paint them black also wench stand.JPG

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
the trailer is in decent shape , i put new tires and a wench strap and lights on it when i bought the boat, and 3 years ago it got new bunks and guides altho i may replace one, the carpet is torn and i am thinking on adding some pvc strips to the front 4 feet or so. it is mostly just rust and what i have seen so far is the tongue and the back cross member, the trailer and boat are 1987 and its been a trailer queen up to 6 years ago when i got it i keep the boat on a slip 9 mouths of the year, the car port came with a house i bought 2 years ago and that took me a year to get it moved and rock under it like it is now so once painted it should hold up nicely for a long time

and way it will take me a good amount of time to move it along the heat this summer has been busting my *** so my work times are from day light to around 9 am, i think tomarrow will be a pressure wash and may be the other wheel

one thing i haven't sorted out yet is the wench tower, i want to paint under it so it will have to come off, i am working by my self and i am sure its heavy i am thinking on breaking out my chain ratchet to lift it off and adding a strap ratchet to one side to swing it out of the way then i should be able to paint the frame and the bottom of the stand and then put it back in place, the steps need new rubber or a paint and sand mix not sure about that yet, the bow stops are composite pvc i added when i did the bunk job, i will paint them black also

Yes I do agree with you on the wench assembly. That does look really stout. I would most certainly set something up to help with the removal and weight. Better to be safe then in the ER.

I also understand the heat this summer. I realize I am getting older, but man this heat is amazing this year. We've now have 57 days over 95 degrees here in middle Georgia. And the humidity is right there with it too. I can usually make it 'til about 90 degrees and then I am totally soaked and finished for the day. And it doesn't look like fall is coming any time either.

As far as the rubber replacement or sand in the paint. They do sell some non-skid strips that actually look like large pieces of sandpaper with adhesive on the back side to cut and put on those areas. And they work pretty well too. And if I am not mistaken, you can get them in different colors as well.

Keep up the great work and post those pictures. :thumb:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
got a good bit done, the other wheel is off, the spare carrier and the wench stand off, the chain ratchet worked real well with a strap off to one side to make it swing out of the way, next is to take off the rest of the bunks and a pressure wash

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
wench stand 1.JPG wench 2.JPG got a good bit done today, got the other wheel off and the spare carrier and the wench stand, the chain ratchet idea worked out fine lifted it up and put a strap off to one side and let it down and it swung right where i wanted it, next is to take off the rest of the bunks and lights and pressure wash

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Alright, First thing is I am glad you lowered the wench tower down and out of the way. In one picture you had it pulled off to the side and I was thinking, that is a head knocker looking for a head to knock there. But you already lowered and no longer an issue. Seems you are now ready to get to it. Good work there. :)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
cl 1.JPG
cl 2.JPG
cl 3.JPG
ok i got the pressure wash done and it helped a lot and i sorted out a problem , my boat never has set right on the trailer, it only hit one of the bow stops and it tore the new carpet i put on the bunks a few years ago on the first launch, and the old bunks was tore in the exact same spot, so i thought i would never get a better chance to do some measuring, what i found was the center line of the bunk bracket spacing were close about 1/2 off from front to back and the bunks were a full 1 inch off center to the drivers side, what i did was lay out a center line on the trailer frame with string, then mark each cross member with a pencil
mark that gave me the center reference point then measure from that out to each bracket

now let the real fun start its scraping and sanding and primer time

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yes that does bring back memories. I did the exact same thing rebuilding my trailer. And I placed everything from the center line to get it all prefecture aligned. Good idea to do all that now before painting. Details like that do make a huge difference. I like your attention to such details. Can't wait to see the final results.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i am sort of just sitting here waiting on the ibuprofen to kick in and thinking i am hoping to get the prep work done in 2 days or so and then give the primer a few days to harden up :faint2: and i know in this 90 degree heat a few hours will more than do that, i have got a lot done in a few days and i think after i get the primer work done i am going take a few days off and rest up, may be get in a days fishing, its been a kick ass summer for fishing so far, i have been going once a week since march and between me and my fishing buddy the boat total is just over 140 pounds of channel cats all in the 2 to 6 pound range, we have put at least 60 pounds of felays in the freezer

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well that went a lot better than i expected i got the surface prep and red oxide primer done, i ended up running out and used some of the white primer, but i should be able to wait till about dark and go over it with the white primer and then rest a few days before i do the paint job, the pressure wash really helped, that knocked off all most all of the lose paint

gm280

Supreme Mariner
well that went a lot better than i expected i got the surface prep and red oxide primer done, i ended up running out and used some of the white primer, but i should be able to wait till about dark and go over it with the white primer and then rest a few days before i do the paint job, the pressure wash really helped, that knocked off all most all of the lose paint

MH, remember, certain primers are not water proof. So the longer you wait before painting the more chance there is for the moisture to absorb into the primer. Don't panic, but just letting you know. The primer you used could be waterproof, but lots of them are not. Just a heads up.