Building the duck barge

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Getting started on the boat build. I am compiling videos as I can and will post them to Youtube and link them here. Here is the first video. The rest will have more building action in them.

https://youtu.be/h7DfdHJnIxs

Figured out how to embed the video on the 2nd post.

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

I am running about two days behind on the videos. It takes for ever for the computer to compile the video to edit it, then again to save the edited video, and then yet again to upload to youtube. Any questions as I go along post them up. I am trying to put everything in the videos.

sheboyganjohn

Glad to have you aboard. Should be a fairly easy build since I am staying away from the curved lines on the hull. I was going to go super simple and make everything square except the bow, but due to trailer space had to modify a bit. Before I get too much further I should take one of the frame members outside and verify it will fit between the wheel wells.

sheboyganjohn

I have to find a way to upload these videos faster. I started this one 3 hrs ago and it just got done.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Any chance we can get pix too? Some cant view videos, esp when surfing thru from work, or take mich time to watch a few videos instead of seeing a couple pix..

sheboyganjohn

Sure,I'll start throwing up some pics. I will have to see if I can capture some out of the videos.

sheboyganjohn

I was going to go back and edit in some photos but it looks like I cannot do that so I will just add them here.

The stack of plywood that I got from the Palmer Johnson Yachts going out of business auction that I am using to build the boat. Got a bunch of Awlgrip (23 gallons) too which I sold off and got enough money to pay for the whole boat build. It is great when you are at an auction and people do not know what they are looking at.

plywoodsfsadlfkjlf.png

The foam I am going to use to fill the hull. Using for both floatation and sound deadening. Got it from work. It was just going to be tossed out.

styrofoam.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Here is a picture of the small cramped shop I am working in. It would not be so cramped if I did not have so many big tools.

shop.png

Here is my 50's vintage radial arm saw. Still works great.

Rad arm saw.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Notching boards with a stacked dado blade.

cutting vert frames.png

Setting up the angle to cut the side frame members. Using a digital angle gauge I got on clearance for $12.

setting up the angle.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

A picture of some of the plans.

some of the plans.png

Here is one of the side members done next to the plans.

drawing and piece.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

The initial starting notch for the keelsons. Still need to cut it deeper.

Kealson cuts.png

The assembly jig for holding the side frame to the bottom frame in alignment for gluing and screwing.

assembly jig.png

Glued and screwed frames set aside to allow the epoxy dry.

assembled frame members.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Finally got the next two videos up. Had to switch from Internet Explorer to Chrome to get it to work.

sheboyganjohn

Strong back built in the back yard. I did the original assembly in the basement and took it apart to get it out.
strongback.png

Placing frames on the strong back.
laying out the frames.png
All on.
frames in place.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Plywood placed on the frames. The bottom of the boat still needs to be marked off and trimmed. I was able to put all the aft to forward seams on the keelsons. I have one seam in the middle of the boat that will be one big lap joint.
plywood on the frames.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Plywood edges all rounded off with the belt sander. I got tired of getting sawdust in my eyes so I put on the chemical mask. Rather be sweaty.
edges all rounded off.png

Close up of the bow and stern sanding work.Will do more fine work once everything is glued and screwed on. I am very low on cabosil so I am waiting on a shipment. The entire boat is just held together with screws right now.
bow rounded off.png
transom rounded off.png

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Still a few days behind on videos. I have lowered the quality from 1080 to 720 and the upload is going much faster now.