Painting. A Vintage Aluminum Boat

Jimajet

Recruit
It was painted once in the past but I plan to restore to its original color , its a 14' boat should I strip all paint, or sand existing paint, I heard interlux perfection paint gives great results and looks professional using brush and roller, The boat is a 1956 Lone star Malibu with. Johnson 33hp electric start 1970 vintage. Has anyone here restored an all aluminum boat if so what advise can you give Thanks

Jimajet

Recruit
Red is the current condition and color, The teal is very close to the original color, the red and with is what someone restored these boats are very old 1950-60s, lastly is a 1950s catalogue pic of the boat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 3

goatnad

Seaman
Hey there jimajet. Nice to see another lone star malibu out there. I am finishing up a 1958 malibu pretty much just like yours. As far as I know the malibu did not get fins until 1958. Also I bought a 1960 malibu to use for parts and it was almost identical to yours. I really think yours is a 1959 not a 1956. The 1959 had 2 brackets for the windshield and the 1960 had 4. The correct paint job would be the last picture you posted for a 59. I know they were painted red but I think you could get it in the blue also. Scotts link is spot on with how to paint it. Woodonglass is insanely knowledgeable about these boats and how to paint them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I vote for the "Teal-Baby Blue" Color. If the current paint is holding good and not flaking off...I'd sand with 100 grit and then prime and paint. If yhou sand thru to bare aluminum you'll need to prime it and any other bare aluminum with self etching primer. Rustoleum makes some and you can get it a most Walmarts. goatnad got the INSANE part right!!!!

Last edited:

Jimajet

Recruit
Hey goatnad you're absolutely right about the year of the boat because I researched it myself all clues point to it being a 1959 but the registration says 1956 on it I thought maybe it was a Proto type but I couldn't prove it and serial numbers on these boats can't be researched because there are no records available that I could find. So now I have to go about and inquire how to get the year changed to a 1959 on the registration . The only original paint left on the boat is on the dashboard behind the steering wheel it's got a wonderful patina and that's the color I would like to restore it to. I lightly sanded through the repaint and found the teal color on the gunnel . I was glad to read your post about the year of the boat because that was my suspicion from the very beginning that it was a 59 . The parts are all there and original so I think it's a worthwhile project. Thank you and Wood for your posts

Last edited:

Jimajet

Recruit
Woodonglass I will lightly sand the entire boat for paint adhesion but what paint do you recommend and how to apply ,,,,spray, roller, brush, I want it to look perfect so I value your advice. thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You might be able to check with the DNR or whoever does boat registration where you live. They might be able to tell the date of first registration if they keep records back that far.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Woodonglass I will lightly sand the entire boat for paint adhesion but what paint do you recommend and how to apply ,,,,spray, roller, brush, I want it to look perfect so I value your advice. thanks
This...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif
Has all the info you require.