2004 alumacraft trophy 200 hull tear

Fishmeister

Recruit
OK so looks to me like a fatigue crack decided to show up while out fishing on Lake Michigan sat. Along side of some old rivet repair on our boat. The old repairs look to be weld and we're already on boat when we got it. And that was only two months ago. We've sunk all our money into this boat after selling our last boat. Got this one from a dealer and they are washing there hands of it and saying they can be of no help.
The wife and I are both first mates on my dads charter service and familiar with boats but not exactly sure how to go about repair. We're trying to go through alumacraft for repairs but not sure if they will help us or not. I've read both that welding can fix and that it can hurt. And patch with rivets would be best but it's not really in a easy place to patch. Anyone have any experience with this and results of repairs.
I'm new to forms and having trouble uploading photos will continue to try
The crack is directly under the chine rail right where the side meets the bottom on the radius of the corner. Also need to fix those previous repairs due to them cracking as well.

Fishmeister

Recruit
Here's the photo

Attachments

• 20160807_165207.png
    20160807_165207.png
    614.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160807_165708.jpg
    20160807_165708.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hard to tell from your pic just how big the crack is. Do you have access to the crack from inside the boat? Back off a bit a take another pic so we can tell exactly where it's located on the boat.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like it's repairable, also looks like the dealer UNLOADED this boat hoping he would never see it again, he knew it had issues. The boat when purchased new was most likely a Tournament Fishing Boat and the hull took A LOT OF HARD ABUSE. Looking at the 2016 brochure, the MAX hull thickness is .200. I would look for a company that SPECIALIZES in Aluminum boat hull repair or even one that does repair to aircraft as they both would understand stressed aluminum repair. Alumacraft especially of your year and model are very worthy boats to spend money on. Once repaired properly will give you many years of service. BTW ...don't EVER trust that dealer again EVER!
Additionally....see if you can remove the interior section near or close to the areas affected...the abuse the hull may of taken might have loosen or broken structural bracing.
What kind of motor...Hp and make do you have hanging on the back?

Last edited:

Fishmeister

Recruit
Yes it is riveted. And I will try. Using my phone for photos and it's saying the size is to big. Had to crop photos to make them a smaller file. I've been contacted back from Alumacraft saying the hull warranty is not transferable and insurance is skeptical about doing a claim. So the cracks are right behind the counsels. Along with several loose rivets in same area. Found a guy who owns same boat and they had similar issues. Guess there were some flex problems with this model. 2003-2006 trophy 200. wondering about structural damage inside the boat. will be a big project to get to the inside. It looks like someone already tried and stripped 70% of the screws holding the deck boards down. I can see foam behind the crack so that rules out welding just from outside. If insurance turns me down and Alumacraft does to I'll be doing repairs my self. I'm a tool and die maker and welder. Familiar with tig aluminium but also familiar with what it does to aluminium after welding. Tends to turn it soft and takes away most of its strength. Not so much the weld itself but the surrounding area depending on grades of aluminium.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, better pics. Overall, midrange, close up.
This is repairable but you will need access to the inside as mentioned above.
The area will have to be stripped and cleaned and given a good examination and all stress risers relieved. I have tig welded for many years and I would repair this with a combination of welds, a patch and rivets. But I have a neighbor who is a rivet guru.
But you should have a good look at the entire boat. If there are other suspect areas the cost will add up quickly. I have seen aluminum rentals up north that have been beaten to death with cracks everywhere. People run them up on the rocky islands for shore lunches or leave them on the rocks for the waves to beat them.

Fishmeister

Recruit
So to any still following. Finally started moving forward with the boat. Had to wait on instance inspector to get done. Then insurance denied. Pretty much expected that. So we took it to Alumacraft our selves this weekend and got some good news and help. There starting on it already this week and got us an estimate same day. They really reduced the labor rate and worked with us on price. The price is not finalized yet due to a couple requests I made of other issues to be addressed but I'm impressed with the service so far. Once we met face to face things got a?ot better. So as of now total repair bill will be under 2000$ and only a week or two till we get her back!!!