Submerged 2000 four winns 180 project

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Well I like project boats, but never had one quite this extensive so thought I would document my torture here.

The south carolina flooding last fall crushed this boats windshield on the boatlift when it rose, and then was completely submerged.

The owner recovered it and took it to the marina as soon as possible and they "pickled" the motor, cleaned it up, and got it running.

I got the boat and trailer for $2k, and as long as the motor was fine knew i wouldnt go in the hole. The owner never cleaned the boat, and has been sitting since. On the way home I spent $20 in quarters at the car wash vacuuming broken glass, muck, and spraying crap out of it. It was nasty!!

Got it home and started stripping it. Pumped and cleaned out the fuel tank, oil tank, replaced fuel line and water seperator filter, and she fired right up! Just changed lower unit fluid and no sign of water. Water pump should be here tomorrow. Wiring wasnt too bad, all gauges worked but had to fix some switches and the gague lights, all working now! New steering wheel got here today.

Started stripping cushions and vinyl panels. All appear to clean up pretty good except for the back to back seats, the vinyl is shot and those will have to be replaced or recovered.

I will update when i can and hope for a water test soon. Pics from the owner and current stage now!

Hopefully this weekend will start interior detailed cleanup and compounding the oxidized gelcoat!!

Attachments

• photo249714.jpeg
    photo249714.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249716.jpg
    photo249716.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249717.jpg
    photo249717.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249717.jpg
    photo249717.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looks like you got a lot of work ahead !!!keep us posted and more pics please .. good luck!!

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Dude...is all i can say. That looks like fun any stress in the deck that would cause the core to fail?

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Does not look like it, fortunately the entire deck on these is wrapped in fiberglass. I would not have touched it if it were mostly wood.

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Update as of today 8/4. Cleaning to begin this weekend hopefully. All wiring fixed except horn, new horn on the way today.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Is the windshield from Taylor Made? I talked with them once on a custom windshield project. Looked like you could still get current production replacements direct from them. Still have contact info should you want it. Spendy though.

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Better images from the owner when the damage happened. I wish i would have gotten it sooner before it sat out for 6 months and the gelcoat would not have been as bad. Much more chalky than in the current pics:

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
I am planning on contacting Taylormade, but afraid and know the price is steep. I am planning on trying a plexiglass or lexan repair myself once I get everything else completed.

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Well got the boat exterior nearly done. Compounded with marine 3m boat compound, a coat of polish, and topped with ultima paint guard plus.
Removed the decals, and think it looks much better. replacing lights bases and getting ready to add electronics including stereo system and dual battery and pergo switch.

Taylormade wanted $400 per window, plus shipping for the entire frame to them and back.................

So I got 2 pieces of tinted lexan and next step also will be diy windshield, with shipping both pieces were like $80! Big difference.

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Are you concerned about the wiring?

Not too much since it was freshwater. I cleaned contacts and got everything currently working electronic wise. But only time will tell, but after this much time no signs so far of anny corrosion that would cause any issues?

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Well I got one of the windshields in. $1200+ with shipping to get factory glass from Taylormade. Bought 2 sheets of tinted lexan for less than $80 shipped!

I taped some paper to the opening and traced out a template, then cut out the sheet to fit.

The lexan I used was 1/8" and was very flexible! I thought I would need to heat it to get it around the tight curve, but no heat at all. But I invented curse words trying to get that piece in, and had to finally remove and trim some areas and after an hour or two of fighting it sweating and cursing, got it in and it looks good. Just not as structurally stable or heavy as tempered glass, so I will most likely not install the walkthrough glass back. Once done with the other side plan to use window tint and tint the other sections of side glass to match and should look pretty sweet. Trying to fit that glass in and keep the seals on was like trying to get a bunch of wild cats in a sack. I dont plan on doing that repair ever again if I can help it!

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
nice job cleaning that boat up .. its come a long ways since you started this post .... congrats!!!

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW! thats a heck of a deal if you ask me. she really cleaned up nice with the polishing.

windshield actually looks really good with it tinted like that, you can hardly tell its lexan