Battery Holder for smaller boat.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 14' aluminum boat and the model is shown below.
For fishing starting I have a group 29 Marine battery that weighs in at 96 pounds. I am getting older and this battery gets heavier every year as I move it in the boat. So I was looking at the nose of the V Hull and decided that would be a good place for the battery to be located.
The problem I noted was that if I simply put a board of some sort across the V I was worried that the battery could bounce and possibly wear the hull or damage the battery even if it sat on a board to give the battery a level surface in the V notch.
I thought about it and decided to flood the notch with Polyurethane foam which would provide a cushion for the battery and would in turn keep it in place.
I will use some plastic wrap as a mold release to keep the polyurethane from sticking to the hall and put enough in and let it semi harden so that I can set the battery in its battery box into the foam thereby securing it and cushioning it at the same time.
The polyurethane foam is widely available at any hardware store, it's cheap, pretty much weatherproof for my application anyway and should do the trick. I think there are many applications that the expanding polyurethane foam could be used in our boats.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not regular Great Stuff polyurethane foam, correct?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I have not examined my option yet but that is one of the products I was considering. I have used it in applications before and found it to develop a very fine skin making it almost waterproof if not totally waterproof and the rigidity should work well.
I have also seen this stuff used (similar) at commercial shipping companies to make very good shipping boxes to protect stuff. I don't know what the difference in that stuff and Great Stuff is but I suspect not much.

Last edited:

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, several times with success. The only difference in this application is that it could be subject to water once in awhile, but I could provide draining in the design down the center of the V underneath.
I have shipped 60# electronics in boxes worth some $1500 with this stuff too with only a couple of inches at best cushion once it hardens.
I do think that the commercial stuff they flood the boxes with hardens quicker than the Great Stuff, or at least appeared to.

Last edited:

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Ever try to fill a large void w it?

In this case it will go into the V with plastic or something very similar to keep if from permanently sticking to the hull material. As far as the void goes, you can layer this stuff really easy.