Guy Lombardo

maydayfive

Recruit
I have stumbled upon a Guy Lombardo that from what I have found was made for 3 years in Newark N.J. using Skagit hulls. He lent his name to this 'Royal Fleet since he was so involved in boat racing. Inside hull needs complete resto. Anyone anywhere know anything about this boat and if its worth grabbing for a project? Anything will be appreciated.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Depends on how you define 'worth buying as a project'

To many its just an old glass boat and you'd be hard pressed to get your material cost back, and have provided all your own free labor, no matter how accurate and exceptional a restore you do.

Trailer? Towable?

Motor? Running?

Actual condition of fiberglass and gelcoat?

Might get lucky and find a buyer whose family had 1 growing up, and they HAVE to have it. Still depends on what you've spent and they're willing to pay.

How about some pix?

I've seen quite a few Skagits, no Guy Lomdardos that I know of. But that alone doesnt make it valuable.

Unfortunately, vintage boats arent like vntage cars.

Also depends on what market you're in. Here in WV, I suspect most wouldn't pay the $200 w a trailer and non-running motor.

The internet does make the market larger, but you'd still have to find that 1 in a 100000 (or more) buyer.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I whole heartily agree with jbcurt00 and his comment. Usually when a person takes on a complete rebuilt, they do so for one of two reasons. First they are totally in love with the boat. It is a boat they always liked and wanted one and the cost, labor, sweat and effort are all well worth it in their eyes. The second is because a boat was in their family for generations and has extreme sentimental value beyond any recoverable market value. So if you really like the boat and really want to restore it for you own personal wants, then have at it. But is will not bring in any large money after the fact. It is just how things are. JMHO!

maydayfive

Recruit
I was just curious if was a real rarity since I never heard a peep about them and Ive been around boats for 50 years so it interests me for posterity reasons. Its certainly not a Meteor! As far as resale the only things I ever resold and made a profit on were real estate! Probably explains why I have 8 boats-lol. Thanks for opinions tho guys.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
OK, here you go :D
ph_main_GuyLombardo1.jpg

Last edited:

maydayfive

Recruit
Now that's funny! But... a pic of his Tempo VI Hydroplane would have sufficed. He did have a pretty impressive career in boat racing tho. Seems that those who know that are getting fewer and fewer.

Kiloecho

Seaman
Guy does a cameo appearance in this episode. I've watched the first 4 seasons on Hulu and this was one of the better episodes. Very cool classic race boats.