1989 Sea Ray OB 180 Rebuild

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Mr. wood you must have been off today..I think I fixed my problem. I put a jack stand under the left and right rear of the boat today. It floated off the bunks about 3/4 inch. No pressure from them now..the bulge went down somewhat. I believe that slope is built into the the hull..to out side of the stringer about 1/2 or less the hull makes another little slant going higher toward the side of the boat . It makes a small vee from the stringer then slopes up. I thought it should lay straight out from the stringer but it doesn't. It's a vee with a small wing. The bunk that it was laying on made it worse but when I took the pressure off it did go down some...hope you can understand me...I am happy...after all this rain in Alabama is over I am going to start sanding...then get to work on that transom..I have only been at this for three weeks after I get off from work maybe 40 hrs so far talk to you later.

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Checked my calendar I only have 20 hrs in so far..5 bags of foam out maybe two more later..

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't get anything done today. Will get on that transom soon then some sanding. I have to cut out those boxes to the left and right of the transom first. Talk to u later

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is one like my boat. Just woundering is it ok to sit my transom directly on the step or do I need a space? Do I need to tab in the bottom?

Attachments

• photo250969.jpg
    photo250969.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250970.jpeg
    photo250970.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250971.jpg
    photo250971.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250972.jpg
    photo250972.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Once you get the foam boxes out and the total stern cleaned up, it will be much easier to determine the path you should take.

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Ok going to put my transom in using PB and filet them. After the cure going to add my stringer using PB. I will tab my transom to my stringers which are knee brace and then to the rear Hull from thier..

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Transom wood cut..

Attachments

• image_zpsunwe54r1.jpeg
    image_zpsunwe54r1.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, I'd recommend gluing them together with Titebond III wood glue and deck screws. Much easier, Will be cured in 24 hours. Your PL laminate will take a minimum of 3 days to fully cure.

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Yea I no it's a long wait,,I have other things going on...no problem waiting....thanks a bunch...I have it clamped and covered in my garage

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
I saw you helped a guy named mobile Alabama with a sea Ray 180. He pored a sea cast transom..we have the same boat..how can I square mine up like this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0

rotorhead22

Seaman
Been there done that. I recreated my transom box with foam and covered it in shipping tape then four layers of CSM to create a pan. Then I fiber glassed that to the back of the hull after trimming and sanding and then poured a new transom with Arjay CPC. I used cardboard patterns for the boxes and stringers in that area because mine were not salvageable.. The outside hull may be the same dimensions but the layers of glass that they used on the inside can vary by 3/4". In other words each piece of wood will need to be custom fit.

Last edited:

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
ok Mr.Roto...I was referring to the bilge area pad..someone has rounded mine and I was woundering how to build it back up..its on the inside of your boat above the maine drain plug..its what your transom sits on..just in front of it..maybe some call it bow pad...