1989 Sea Ray OB 180 Rebuild

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning wood I have seen your post on fabricating, thanks most of these decks and stringer are the same all around. The lay out for the 160 and 180 are simaliar for the Sea Ray.

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Trying some pics..98 sunbird with 135 sea horse...photo stream..

Attachments

• photo249221.jpg
    photo249221.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Ok got all foam out. Hello wood I cut the cap at 1 foot before splash well.. Came off without any problems

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
I first took off the rubber on the rub rail. Then I cut it with my cut off wheel. Took screw driver and knocked off heads off rivets. Punch them threw. Then made the cut on the gunwales. When I cut the last one the boat sank in on the sides about 2 inches but it can be relined after all is done. I will use tied own strap to hold it in place again before I fiber glass it. I put my bottLe Jack under the rear lip from the inside and stated pumping. The splash wheel is sealed under with bondo. Took a screw drive and worked it lose as I jacked higher. Forgot you need to remove the splash wheel drain back before you do this. It popped off with no problem....thanks Mr Wood.

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
When pressing on the otter skin of the transom I had water coming from the lower left motor mont hole. I believe the skin has separated from the wood. I could get water to come out from pressing 1 inch 1.5 inch almost 2 inch away f on the hole. The skin should not move at all right. The right motor mont hole had nothing coming out..what do you think?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looking good so far. Now the Itch Yukky part starts. Make sure to wear a full cover Tyvek suit and use Lots of Baby powder. Keeps the itch manageable. Full face respirator I my recommendation for all the grinding and sanding. The Fiberglass dust is NOT pleasant to breathe or good on the lungs. TAKE CARE!!!!

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I have my suit all ready to go...thanks So what do you think about the coming out line? Do you think it will be ok. The floor is out but not the stringers...

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
I mean do you think the Hull will straight the way it sits? I don't see a lot of people talking about bracing it up..not to say it's not needed. Friscoboater only made sure the nose was level with the stern. My stringers are inside my bunk boards and I also have bunks another half foot out from those but none on the eagde chim. Thanks for your help..😉

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Since you only cut the splashwell away it should stay in shape. Make SURE to take Pics and Measurements from every conceivable angle. Before the deck goes on you MUST ensure the measurements are the same to ensure the splashwell assembly will fit back on with no issues.

moegas

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks the splash well is not the problem. I think that will be fine. I had it on and off a couple of times..the problem is the to much weight on two of the vertical bunk boards. Looks like rounding or should I say bulging of the hull midship forward for about a length of two feet. Yea I stupid vertical bunks in that area.😄 Looks like that's the only spot. In those areas it looks like to the outer of the stringer is bulging upward and not flat..I am assuming those areas should be flat and not sloping up. I believe if I can relive the pressure that area will come down flat..lets just say if I glass in the stringer in this state and then launch the boat " wouldn't the pressure then released pull or sag my layup on the outside of the stringer because of the stringer trying to punch threw the hull in that area? Take pressure off? ?? Is the answer jack up the boat left and right rear and a little on the front keel to relive this?? Remember the old stringer are still in there..also I thinking shoreing up the front outer edges no pressure though just to keep it from rocking while walking around in the boat. I don't won't to squeeze the sides in and change the shape there also...Mr Woods for all your doing to help..✌😩