Would like to flip my boat to work on the bottom. Looking for building plans!

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to flip my 82 Sylvan Sportster (16') to clean and paint the hull. I've seen a few folks that put them on wooden frame with casters to make things mobile. Just wanted to see if anyone had building plans for one of those or suggestions for making a good sturdy one. Not sure what they are called to do a search on it. Thank you in advance for any input.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JohnnyMat, are you looking for a boat cradle or an "A" frame setup to suspend the null in the air? They are totally different things with different build ideas.

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JohnnyMat, are you looking for a boat cradle or an "A" frame setup to suspend the null in the air? They are totally different things with different build ideas.
I'm looking to make a frame to flip the boat onto while I do some hull painting and potential repairs. Not a storage cradle...more of a rolling cart.
Something that the gunwales(partially), transom corner brackets and bow tip rest on.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You'll need to remove the windshield and then you can use one like I made...
attachment.php
fetch

I used Black Pipe insulation, and contact cement to hold it on the cross members of the frame 1 - 2x6x12 cut in half for the cross members, and 1- 2x4 x 12 cut in half for the outside rails and a 16' 2x4 for the center rail. Used 8" pneumatic casters from Harbor Freight to make it roll easy on the grass. Total costs were under $70. Took about 2 hours to build once I had all the materials.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm looking to make a frame to flip the boat onto while I do some hull painting and potential repairs. Not a storage cradle...more of a rolling cart.
Something that the gunwales(partially), transom corner brackets and bow tip rest on.

I hope that makes sense.

Okay JM. WOG posted a good design for what you're looking for. AND depending on your hull design, others made cradles as well. A cradle offers you a couple of good vantages. First it can be made with casters/roller so you can roll it around, but it also allows you to service the boat trailer as well. My boat is a tri-hull design and I made a boat cradle to fit it exactly. And it works very well. If you can to take a look, click on the link below and see what I've done. Either design you select will make it a lot easier to do any work on the boat.

Post more pictures of your progress. We love pictures on these forums. :thumb:

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes that was exactly what I was looking for Woodonglass...thank you! My dash boards and widows are already off, just working with a bare hull now (for the most part). I will certainly throw more pics up as I go. I have some loaded up on my other posts. Not sure if you can see them or not. Thanks again!

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any recommendations on decent hull paint? Not looking to spend a ton but I do want to do Mainly white with a gray and black band and a red pinstripe. I want it to match my Johnson outboard. :)
Anyone here use the Duralux Marine from Home depot? I was going to try that.

Last edited:

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks WOG I think I can handle that...definitely need to get her flipped over on a dolly first though.
Recommend a good way to strip off the existing original paint? That stuff is ridiculous to get off!
I tried a little Kleenstrip and it dried right out and barely touched it.

Last edited:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Are you sure your boat is painted not gelcoated?!

One way to tell is to soak a rag with Acetone and put it flat on the finish. If it started to wrinkle in few minutes, it is paint. If it is not affected at all, it is gel

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Didn't realize they gelcoat aluminum boats. I will try that out.
WOG How many guys did it take to flip that boat onto that dolly?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Didn't realize they gelcoat aluminum boats. I will try that out.
WOG How many guys did it take to flip that boat onto that dolly?
2- 20yr. old Nephews!!! AND a Case of Beer!!!:eek::D;) I have a tilt trailer so tilted it and slid the boat onto the ground. They then tipped it up and onto its side and over onto its top. On on the bow the other on the stern and they picked her up and put her down. Both 6 ft and 220 lbs. So they weren't weaklings!!!

Last edited:

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
image_244344.jpg image_244346.jpg image_244350.jpg image_244352.jpg image_244353.jpg image_244354.jpg Here's what we did to flip ours. I had a rolling work bench the fit perfectly under the upside down floor of the hull.

Big heavy casters let us rolling it any where we want, an its rock solid for sanding.

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lucky guy with two cherry pickers! Mine one is tied up as a backup support for my engine. :)