Fuel filter and old gas particles

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
My boat tanks were filled with regulargas sstation gas, Stabil-ized and have sat for two years. I'm getting the boat ready to use, I pulled the gas tank out and drained it- it looked like dark apple cider! The last few sloshes had particles in it, varnish maybe? I put a gallon of fresh gas in to flush some of it out. Will a good fuel filter take care of whatever remains? The new one I'm putting on my Mercruiser says it filters to 10 microns (Sierra brand).

Thanks!

Chief:
I think that you are the victim of alcohol in the gasoline. In my opinion, you need to flush it until every trace of the previous gas is gone, plus also flush the fuel lines, present filter, and carburetor. You will be very lucky if the carb is not fouled. I suggest that if the engine specs permit, that you always use premium gasoline, if it does not contain alcohol. If you can see in your tank, you might be able to see if it is truly clean. Aluminum tanks are prone to internal corrosion due to the alcohol in regular gas.

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Meh, fill it with a gallon, flush it through the line to the filter, repeat once, replace filter.
If its in the carbs, they are gonna gum up, but hopefully the crud isn't all the way there.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
The tanks are steel, I believe original in 1974. I took off the sending unit and looked in, I don't see any corrosion on the tank bottom. The sending unit was horribly rusted, so there are some particles that havefallen in. However, there is no general coating of varnish. I plan to replace the fuel line to the engine, and have a new filter on the way. I probably will have to clean the carb I suspect

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I flushed my tank with acetone several times used a coffee filter to reuse acetone in a strainer for big particles then after a few run through I took and did same with a gallon of new acetone , no particles and it evaporates fast leaving a clean inside ready for fuel