Gelcoat

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a small area that I have repaired that I will need to cover with gelcoat. Might be covering the whole boat within a year. As I was looking to purchase some on ebay I noticed they have some with wax & some without. What is the difference & which is preferred? Another question for an 18' runabout approximately how much is needed to cover the entire boat. Ok another question... can it be applied with a automobile paint gun

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Look up Friicoboater on Youtube. In one of his Carlson restore videos he shoots gelcoat, metallic flake at that. As for the wax and no wax, wax is a finishing agent. So it is what you use in the final coat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I have a small area that I have repaired that I will need to cover with gelcoat. Might be covering the whole boat within a year. As I was looking to purchase some on ebay I noticed they have some with wax & some without. What is the difference & which is preferred?
Wax is added to Gelcoat in order for it to cure properly. However you only need it in the last coat. I would recommend getting the UNWAXED version and buying some surfacing wax to be added when you do the last coat. You'll need 3-4 coats to get good buildup.
Another question for an 18' runabout approximately how much is needed to cover the entire boat.
For an 18' hull, I'd Guess-ti-mate 2 gallons.
Ok another question... can it be applied with a automobile paint gun
Yes IF you buy a 2.5mm nozzle for it. AND you immediately flush the gun with Acetone after each shoot and before the Gelcoat starts to KICK. Usually about 20-25mins. If not, throw the gun away and start over.

See answers in RED above!!

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok another question. Would the patch I did with Bondo resin (which contains wax) work for the remainder of the year? That's if I can get it put together before cold weather? It is a trailered boat so it will be in the water for 3 or 4hrs each trip. I would really like to get it out a couple times before the end of the season. Plan on painting trailer & boat before next season. Think I will check out Friicoboater on Youtube. Done some body work back in the late 80's but more of a novice than any kind of pro. Mostly want to get her in the water to get her perfectly tweaked before next year. Spent a lot of time (in the heat) this weekend fixing the gash in the hull, oiling some teak wood & tweaked the wobbly wheels to better fit the hull.
Carpet was promised to be here by tomorrow afternoon. If it's not to hot I will install that along with some interior parts. Long block is to be shipped on Tuesday so I might have the huge job of dropping that in this weekend. Supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler buy the weekend.
Have a feeling I might be over my head with this engine swap. I have a great deal of equipment at my disposal but just never done any boat work, just automotive. Been over 25 years since I have timed ignition & tuned a 4bbl. carb

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Ok another question. Would the patch I did with Bondo resin (which contains wax) work for the remainder of the year? That's if I can get it put together before cold weather? It is a trailered boat so it will be in the water for 3 or 4hrs each trip. I would really like to get it out a couple times before the end of the season. Plan on painting trailer & boat before next season. Think I will check out Friicoboater on Youtube. Done some body work back in the late 80's but more of a novice than any kind of pro. Mostly want to get her in the water to get her perfectly tweaked before next year. Spent a lot of time (in the heat) this weekend fixing the gash in the hull, oiling some teak wood & tweaked the wobbly wheels to better fit the hull.
Carpet was promised to be here by tomorrow afternoon. If it's not to hot I will install that along with some interior parts. Long block is to be shipped on Tuesday so I might have the huge job of dropping that in this weekend. Supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler buy the weekend.
Have a feeling I might be over my head with this engine swap. I have a great deal of equipment at my disposal but just never done any boat work, just automotive. Been over 25 years since I have timed ignition & tuned a 4bbl. carb

Define what do you mean by work? What are your expectations/concerns?

If it was done right, yes it will work in the sense that it will keep the water out of the boat where it belong. It doesn't even need to be covered with gelcoat of you don't mind the look. If you decide that you will cover with gel, wipe the area with Acetone in one direction with clean rags (or another clean side of the same rag)

sand and fair, clean with Acetone again and after you think it is all nice and clean, clean it once more for good luck. Cover it with gel.

You can skip the fairing if you know that the entire hull will be redone in the near future anyway and just sand as needed, clean with Acetone (repeat as needed) and cover with gel

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"Work" as in not absorbing water. I thought it would be ok since it is Bondo brand with wax in it.
It's really far down on the hull & won't be seen in the water so I might just leave it for now until I do the whole boat.
Thanks for the response.