1967 Crestliner Nordic 17 - Projects?

loger2001

Recruit
I inherited my grandfather's Crestliner Nordic 17. We absolutely love the boat and it's in great shape considering it's coming up on it's 50th birthday.

We'd like to restore it a bit, but we're unsure where to start. We're capable of DIY, but also not opposed to bringing in a pro for the hard parts. It's also worth noting that I've had almost no luck finding parts that match the original, and I'm not interested in deviating too far from the original look. To start, we are in the process of creating replica Crestliner emblems using a mold and black resin.

Pictures are linked below (click on logo). I would love to get thoughts from the group on suggested restorations and/or suggestions for not touching some aspects.

We've considered: fresh paint, touch-up paint, flooring, rear seat upholstery, new rub rail.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow !! She is a beautiful boat ! It is a fiberglass hull right ? Are the back to back seats original ? You should check the transom and stringers for rot ..
:welcome:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Use 1 of the 3 suggested pix posting methods:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

That pix site was so slow to load, I gave up waiting.

Perhaps you can us an IMG code and paste the pix directly into your post, like I can w Photobucket.

00O0O_7F1ewQJ3g61_600x450_zpse86102df.jpg

From the pix album, looks like a nice biat. Original parts, and colors, might be tough to get after 50 years.

Since I couldnt get the pix to load individually, not sure what all NEEDS to be done, but its an aluminum boat, correct?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WOW, very nice boat. I wouldn't worry to much about keeping her original if you're thinking this will increase her value. Old boats really are just that. Old Boats and they don't retain their value like cars do. Fresh Paint that matches is a good idea, as well as upholstery work.

loger2001

Recruit
Thanks for the input so far! She has an aluminum hull, in great shape except for one ding ~2" long that could use some attention. I'm attaching the pictures, and I added a couple more of the sales brochure. I was a little surprised when comparing pictures that most everything seems to be original (flooring, seats, paint, etc.) I should note, I'm planning to keep the boat for a very long time, not sell it. On a side note, my grandfather purchased the boat in '67, and it remained at his lake home on Gull Lake (MN) the entire time. I believe it was only trailered once or twice. It was one of his most prized possessions.

Attachments

• IMG_9389.jpg
    IMG_9389.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9390.jpg
    IMG_9390.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9388.jpg
    IMG_9388.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9393.jpg
    IMG_9393.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9387.jpg
    IMG_9387.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9394.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9392.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9395.jpg
    IMG_9395.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9391.jpg
    IMG_9391.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 2
  • scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 2
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 4

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! At first look it sure looked like a fiberglass hull ... Where are the rivets ! :D

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice looking boat loger, I have a 77 nordic 16 I have been restoring for the last few years. The flooring material can be replaced with nautilux. The color is close but brighter and the pattern is real close to original. Here is a pic of the new floor with the old on the hull.

They make vinyl stickers to replace the emblems but I would use emblems too if possible. You will have to improvise for most everything else and as WOG said, if it's close, it's good to go. I found stainless screws to hold my new floor down at my local Ace. The bit head size was bigger and the profile was slightly different but I found that when I replaced them all with the new you really couldn't tell they weren't original. Sphelps.. crestliners are a welded boat. Rivets were used to hold the splash well and the such together. The hulls were welded as were the stringers to the hull.

Good luck with the boat. Mine was bought new by my Dad and I was the first one to trailer it when I brought it home from the lake to restore. It has been a super fun journey and well worth it. Hope yours is too. I'll be tagging along for the restore.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard. loger.

Are you sure she needs new deck? Soft spots?

She looks almost showroom fresh. What is powering the beautiful lady?

loger2001

Recruit
Patfromny, nice job on the restore, the Crestliner looks beautiful! I'll have to check into the nautilux flooring, thanks for that recommendation. I may try one more round of washing too and she how it turns out. The deck actually feels pretty solid.

She's powered by a mercruiser 120 (pic also attached). Sad story, but I spent this past summer swapping the engine (with an nearly identical) as the block was cracked.

Attached are some pics of our progress in replicating the Crestliner emblems. Need to get the gold on...

Attachments

• IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Wow ! At first look it sure looked like a fiberglass hull ... Where are the rivets ! :D

Not that I didn't believe it was AL but I was thinking the same thing. Then I read the brochure and saw the "Crest-weld" part and it all made sense.

Loger said:
It was one of his most prized possessions.

I'm sure if not already after your done it will be for you too.

With that I say :welcome: to the iboats dry dock! Looking forward to seeing her all spruced up,

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Emblems look great, nice work. If your deck is sound I would just clean the vinyl and leave it be. I use spray nine on my interior. It is like a stronger fantastic type cleaner. Spray and scrub. You can get it at HD. You could also try soft scrub for the tough stains.
It is a shame about the original engine but it doesn't take away from the value. Alot of the io guys transplant newer engines and outdrives for ease of parts finding. You did a great job with the new one. It Looks like it's been there forever. It's cool to see a period correct engine for a change. Keep us posted on progress

You should get a free photobucket account so you can attach your photos right to each post like I did above. We need instant gratification here. Lol. If you were having trouble doing this it is because you need three posts before you are aloud to attach pics. You should be good to go now.