1986 Cajun Bass Boat

Hello All

​I Have recently traded for a 1986 Cajun Bass Boat With a 105HP Chrysler on it. It also came with a 85HP Chrysler to use as parts.

Things to do:

1. Rewire Entire Boat. (What's in it is just to complicated)

2. Fix Hole in Floor (Picture further down)

3. Fix Seats

4. Fix Gas Tank Cover

5. Re-carpet Entire Boat

Things I need Help With (Long Section Pictures Included)

1. Here is the hole in the floor. Need suggestions on ways to fix it.

IMG_0538_zps9exmyqf6.jpg

I haven't Fully Inspected the stringers that are in the boat. I stood on one right in the hole and it didn't have any give to it.

2. There is a control box at the bow of the boat. It is for trolling motor controls and such. I want to remove this and replace it. What is a good way to go about this?

IMG_0542_zpslnkbzayb.jpg

3.On the throttle control box it looks like something is missing. Any ideas what it is?

IMG_0540_zpswsg2iflp.jpg

4.This picture is of the Fuel Tank. The fuel pump is not working and I think this is it on top of the tank itself. Any ideas for a replacement?

IMG_0541_zps2tp85bos.jpg

5. This is the steering contols. I want to remove this hole thing and make a new on out of fiberglass and plywood. The gauges that are on it are old and It needs new toggle switches and I plan to change out the steering wheel. Any Suggestions on way to make it? You can see some of the wiring that is just thrown in there. It all needs replaced.

IMG_0539_zps8pavhflw.jpg

6. Can you paint directly over fiberglass. When I fix the floor I know it is going to require glass. Is there a way to sorta match it to what is already on the boat or would it be easier to just paint the entire boat?

Any help is great also any suggestions about any of the boat is great.

Here is an outside pic of the boat.

IMG_0528_zpsjlthutjd.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: Andrewfarley96 to iboats. Great to have you aboard and with a challenging project as well...

I do like the boat in general, It has some nice lines. However, there are some interesting things that will need some serious efforts to repair. First of all you need to examine the entire hull for all the rot. Usually when rot shows its ugly head, there is tons more that has not been seen below. Same with the transom. You need to do some sample drill holes to see if good light colored wood shavings comes out or dark wet shavings come out. Obviously the dark wet shavings means rot. So start and do a few sample drill hole towards the lowest area of the transom to see if the transom is good and the stringers as well. But don't drill but about an inch in depth. If they are all good dry light colored wood shavings, then mix up some epoxy, fill them in and you're good to proceed. Post back those results so we can suggest how to proceed, JMHO!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree with GM280!! She's 30 years old with holes in the deck. More than likely she's got or had water below the deck. Stringer and Transom check is absolutely required. Metal Flake boats are hard to bring back the shine. I'd recommend sanding her all down and re-painting.

Okay ive decided that i will take my dremel and cut a small square out around the holes. This should give me access to veiw inside the hull and take a look at the stringer. Hopefully the damage isnt too bad.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just looking at them won't tell you much. You need to core sample them by drilling into them about 1" deep and check the shavings on both the stringers and the transom.

Okay stringers are fine. There is about 1/4 to 1/2 that is soft on top. After that the wood is good. It looks like the floor went bad from just setting out in the rain.

Ive got my patches cut out to replace the floor with. Its 3/4in plywood. I plan to lay it in on top of the stringers and gorilla glue it down and then on top glass it into the rest of the boat. Whatcha think?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Once the wood core of the stringers gets wet, it will start to rot and eventually the entire wood core will be "Mush" When that happens the boat won't be safe to operate until new stringers are installed. The deck will have to be removed again and all your previous work will be for naught. If you plan to keep her for a while I'd replace the stringers, deck and check transom too.

Im not actually planning on keeping it for long. Maybe a few seasons. Inwanted the boat trailer more than the boar itself. I eventually llan on getting a ponton or building a 18x60 john boat.

Its only in that on section where the stringers are wet. The rest are all dry. After pulling up some of the floor there was a small hole in the fiberglass that allowed water to get into that part of the stringers.

Im not looking to do a full restore at the moment money is pretty tight. My plan is to do enough to get it through a couple of years.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Andrewfarley96, I honestly understand what you are saying. But we here at iboats don't offer "short-cuts" to finishing boat hulls. We like quality, safe, reliable work and are not in the business of making "patch-up" and "be done with it" type suggestions in our opinions and ideas. So if you have suspect stringers presently, and it sounds like you do, I can't tell you to over look them and floor over top of them and boat on. If others wish to make such calls, that is their opinion and business. So you have to make your decision on how to proceed. It is your call and your boat. JMHO!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sooo, you drilled core samples at various locations the entire length of the stringers and the shaving came back light colored and Dry except for the top third???

Yes just where the holes in the floor are at. After pulling the floor up there was a hole in the stringer fiberglass about 1/2 big right on top. Transom core sample was great and near the front was great l. Just right where the holes where.

The floor itself needs replaced because of the hull it has all been taken up already i did it today. Im goi g to use 3/4 inch to replace floor. It doesnt appear to be whats on the boat originally. What i pulled up was 1/2. Hopefully 3/4 isnt overkill bit its what i have already.

Also the foam in the boat was to my suprise dry. i am buying the fiberglass at the 1st of the month. I will use both coth and mat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes just where the holes in the floor are at. After pulling the floor up there was a hole in the stringer fiberglass about 1/2 big right on top. Transom core sample was great and near the front was great l. Just right where the holes where.

The floor itself needs replaced because of the hull it has all been taken up already i did it today. Im goi g to use 3/4 inch to replace floor. It doesnt appear to be whats on the boat originally. What i pulled up was 1/2. Hopefully 3/4 isnt overkill bit its what i have already.

Also the foam in the boat was to my suprise dry. i am buying the fiberglass at the 1st of the month. I will use both coth and mat.

Andrewfarley96, I honestly know what you are presently going through. We all had to face very similar situations when it comes to rebuilding our boats. We all didn't want to spend a penny more then necessary. BUT, at this stage, I think you would be years ahead if you removed the stringers as well and rebuilt solid new ones back. I know that isn't what you want to hear. But even a small area of rot WILL get worst even with new flooring on top. It is like a cancer and won't stop. I like your bass style boat and would love to see it rebuilt the correct way and back on the water for a long long time. So please think about how you want to proceed before reinstalling the floor now. If there ever was a golden opportunity to make this solid, it is now while you have the floor out.

Also, do a core sample in the foam. While the surface you see is dry, it is the area right at the hull that will be soaked. Use a piece of PVC fashioned into a crude drill core bit and cut out a few foam cores and see for sure if the foam is dry all the way to the hull.

As for the floor, I would install the exact same thinness back that was originally there. Because once you seal both sides of the plywood, it gets really rigid and solid. Weight is important on boats. And place that you can reduce weight but still work correctly is going to make the boat that much easier to plane and run. JMHO!

Would i need to de-cap the boat or is it possible to replace the stringers whe cal is still on.

Also i know this forum is for a restoration but is it possible to tame the cap off and build a new on or just cut out the pard i dont like and remake them. What i mean is the boat has three small live wells. I dont want them in there. There is no rod storage space. And the front casting deck is soft. It needs replaced.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Andrew, Not being there to actual see where the stringers are mounted, It could be possible to replace them without decapping. However, since you are replacing the floor as well, I would remove the cap and then have total access to everything without working around anything. As for changing the layout of your boat. Anything can be done IF you understand that type construction methods and have a workable plan. Post your ideas about how you want to redesign the hull and we can lend ideas and suggestions. But a lot of other boaters on these forums have changed their boat layouts and made it look amazing. So the answer is yes you too can.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For the style of Bass Boat you have It's nearly impossible to replace stringers and transom with the cap still on the boat. It will be much easier and actually faster to remove the cap. However...It is your boat and you're free to do as you see fit.

I'm actually gonna due a full restore on the boat as of know. Once i get the cap off that might change though. Not at that point though still trying to get the motor running and just havent taken it off yet.

Small update:

Build me an a rig to set my outboard on whole i work on the boat. Still havent got it running though.

Ive got the rub rail pulled off and the blond rivets out.

Next ive got to take the motor off, pull the gas tank, and get the boats cap off and i will be able to take more pictures and finally figure out what all needs done