1 lost rivet = lots of water

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I finally got to splash my new to me Starcraft ss 160 tinny. I was surprised to see at least a gallon drain out when I pulled the transom plug. Maybe more.
When I got home I took a good look at the bottom of the boat and found one rivet broken off the keel strip and water dripping. I pushed the remnant through the hull and now I can see daylight on the other side.
It's located right at the front of the floor hatch.
Bad news is I have no solid rivets, and nobody around here sells such a thing.
What else can I use to get back on the water this weekend? Stainless bolt and acorn nut with some 5200?
I'm a desperate man.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are in a rush, try a flat headed bolt with some 3M 5200 sealer and happy boating. Carriage bolt are made like that but have a square section right below the head. If you can use that type bolt and the 3M 5200 sealer, That would also work. JMHO for a quick repair.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried just putting some 3M 5200 in the hole an letting it set. The stuff will seal the hole until you can find the rivet you are looking for.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I haven't tried anything yet. I need a temporary repair until I can order some proper rivets. This hole goes through 3 layers. The keel strip, the hull, and then a rib inside. If I used 5200 on the hole it may or may not work. depending on how much I can squirt in.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
5200 is runny and will drip out of the hole. It also takes a while to cure, although if you can find the fast cure version it may set up faster. But 5200 in slow or fast cure will probably pop out with no hardware to secure the sandwich.

Since you have access, use a pan head machine screw in the right diameter, nut and washers until you find the right rivet. For a temporary repair, even silicone on the nut and screw will work. Save the 5200 for the permanent fix.

The square shank on a carriage bolt will enlarge the hole you have now, which is sized for the rivet, I wouldn't use one for that reason.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
5200 is runny and will drip out of the hole. It also takes a while to cure, although if you can find the fast cure version it may set up faster. But 5200 in slow or fast cure will probably pop out with no hardware to secure the sandwich.

Since you have access, use a pan head machine screw in the right diameter, nut and washers until you find the right rivet. For a temporary repair, even silicone on the nut and screw will work. Save the 5200 for the permanent fix.

The square shank on a carriage bolt will enlarge the hole you have now, which is sized for the rivet, I wouldn't use one for that reason.

I did just that. A round hex head with a nut on the back. And a bit of 5200. I was thining of driving to the city to buy some stainless but I will be ordering rivets anyways. There is enough room to buck this rivet if I can hammer from the hull side.k

dozerII

Admiral
You could pull her down here to the SW , I have the rivets in stock, would take us about 10 minutes to get it all fixed up :D

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
You could pull her down here to the SW , I have the rivets in stock, would take us about 10 minutes to get it all fixed up :D

Dang. Nobody in the city sells these rivets?
As far as ordering, should I just get the 3/16 solid end pop rivets? Long ones?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Dang. Nobody in the city sells these rivets?
As far as ordering, should I just get the 3/16 solid end pop rivets? Long ones?

ricohman, first, how big is the hole? If it is 3/16" in diameter, then buy that size. If it is larger, then you need to get a larger size to fill out the hole as close as possible. And even with that, I'd apply some type sealer on the rivet when installing it back. I have to ask, is this the only rivet on the hull that needs replaced? If so, buy a few extras and keep for future usage. If there are other rivets that look iffy, then buy a box full and replace them that are suspect while you are doing this. There are pop type rivets and then the peening type. If you have access to bother sides and have a friend to assist you, I'd go with the peening type and then you won't have any issues again. JMHO!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rivetsonline, but shipping is a bear, so try to place it all in 1 order

82rude

Rear Admiral
Same boat ,same issue.Just get blind rivets .Any jobber store should have them.Solved my problem and took a minute.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Or you can just use a ss pan head screw with a nylok nut and some "goop" it will last a long time! Did this to my old jon boat years back and still good as new. Just get the biggest screw that will fit thru the hole.