Floor replacment

ScottMartzen

Cadet
Hello I am a first time poster and have a question about my floor project.
I am replacing the floor and probably stringers in my 88 Galaxie 1790 v open bow. I have no problem with the work and completing the job the right way.
My question is with the existing hatch for the under floor storage. Is it necessary that I keep this section accessible? Or can I make the floor solid?
Thank you all for all your input on this and all the other posts I've read.
I tried to post pictures but according to the photo tutorial I have to make three posts before I am able to.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I assume your talking about the "Ski Locker" If you don't want/need it then for sure you can make the deck one solid structure.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: ScottMartzen to iboats. Nice to have you joins us...

If you have no plans to resell the boat down the road for any period of time, then you can do whatever YOU like to your boat. However, If you are merely refurbishing this boat to resell and buy another, then the ski locker could be a calling card for the future purchaser. But it is your boat and whatever you decide to do is right. As far as unfloor foaming goes, personally I would leave a center area in the hull for bilge water to flow to the transom area and the bilge pump can pump over board. But if you are just getting started on your boat project, all that is going to be later on. Post some picture and ideas what you want to do and the professionals on these forums will direct and guide you through it all. JMHO!

ScottMartzen

Cadet
Thank you for the input. I plan on keeping it for a few years. I was more concerned with ventilation/ structural/ serviceability issues. I have built many custom cars and build custom work trucks for a living now. We build 350+ trucks a month but this is my first boat project. I picked it up dirt cheep looking for a project so I can learn. My son (5 years old) is helping me from start to finish. Much like I did with my dad on tractors and cars when I was young. I will have to downsize my photos when I can get them on to a computer from my phone.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A general rule is, if there was foam put it back where you found it, if there was no foam, add it only if you want it or need it for floor support. Foam can be both for floatation and structure. So an open ski locker would not need it. What I would suggest is to not foam it, but take photos and measurements of the location. That way if you want one in the future, you can buy an aftermarket hatch and cut it in. If you foam it you will need to do a ton of work to put it back in.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for the input. I plan on keeping it for a few years. I was more concerned with ventilation/ structural/ serviceability issues. I have built many custom cars and build custom work trucks for a living now. We build 350+ trucks a month but this is my first boat project. I picked it up dirt cheep looking for a project so I can learn. My son (5 years old) is helping me from start to finish. Much like I did with my dad on tractors and cars when I was young. I will have to downsize my photos when I can get them on to a computer from my phone.

Sure sounds like you have the skills to do this boat project. And the 5 YO certainly can help. But be careful if you have to grind any fiberglass because that stuff is really dangerous if you inhale enough. Other then that, post some pictures and let's get it going. :thumb:

ScottMartzen

Cadet
No Title

Sorry it took so long but here are the pictures of my project. Thank you guys for all the input and help! I really like reading all the posts on here!

gm280 Maverick ( my son) helps from a distance when I am dealing with anything that may be harmful! Lol! I am on the first response team for my company and have seen some inhalation/ respiratory injuries in our paint department with people not wearing the proper PPE. Some of these chemicals are no joke and not worth the risk!

I am letting my plywood dry out ( wont take long in this dry 109 heat we are having this month!) and will post more pictures as I go!!

Attachments

• photo249116.jpeg
    photo249116.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249117.jpeg
    photo249117.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249118.jpeg
    photo249118.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249119.jpeg
    photo249119.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249120.jpeg
    photo249120.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249121.jpeg
    photo249121.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249122.jpeg
    photo249122.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249123.jpeg
    photo249123.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249124.jpeg
    photo249124.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249125.jpeg
    photo249125.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249126.jpeg
    photo249126.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249127.jpeg
    photo249127.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249128.jpeg
    photo249128.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

ScottMartzen

Cadet
Rodney63. If you search the posts on this site there is tons of info... Or start your own thread. You have a better chance of getting answers if you start your own thread rather than hijacking another thread..

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi, I am trying to replace wooden floor on tracker pro v 17 using regular plywood, want to find a sealant and gelcoat .first time doing this and would appreciate all the help and instructions I can get. thanks

Yes Rodney, don't hijack other people's threads. Start your own and explain what issues you are having and you too will get more personalized options for your boat. That is how it works n these forums.

Gator1955

Cadet
Hi Scott, Im working on a Galaxie myself, its an 87 18 foot cuddy cabin with a 4.3L omc. I had to gut mine all the way to the cuddy. The transom is in and ready for glass and now im ready to put stringers in. Its cool to find somebody fixing a boat similar to mine. Good luck with your project. If yours is built like mine it should be simple to git er done.

ScottMartzen

Cadet
No Title

Well the boat project has been on a short hold until my son's football season is over. Since I haven't posted in a while her is a picture of my boy taking it to the house! Boat project will resume in 4 weeks...

Attachments

• photo253063.jpeg
    photo253063.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 0