1962 Starcraft Starmist Resoration

Hello everyone! Im new to iboats, but have used it many times in the past to look information up. So to get down to brass tacs, I have a '62 Starcraft Starmist fishing boat that im restoring the floor in which is my first time ever doing something of this caliber. When demoing the floor I accidentally went through the rivet making my hole bigger in a few ribs, so all my new rivet holes in the floor are going to be 1/4". I already went with exact replacement 1/2" marine grade (B/C) plywood for the floor which is all cut out and fitted($52/sheet). So with my remaining almost 3 1/2 sheets of plywood left I was going to use them to make a box pedestal with some sort of piano hinge for storage. With that type of plywood, what type of paint should I be using? I want something that is going to stand up to water and sun while probably going to add a little sand for grip on the floor. I DO NOT want to carpet anything, I just want to keep everything white paint on the wood floor and the wood pedestal's. Also, should I paint the floor before I rivet the wood floor down or do 1 coat before I rivet the floor down then do a coat after riveting? I'm going to keep posting pics of my progress. Currently this weekend im going to be making my pedestal boxes, painting them and mounting the seats. Also, what would be a good type of paint to use on that Yellow steering wheel and tray(my transom is the same yellow)?

Thanks!
Tim

image-20160423_155914.jpg image-20160423_170943.jpg image-20160423_170935.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Is that styrofoam in the bottom of the hull? What sealant will you be using to seal the plywood prior to painting it? Several of our members have used and liked this...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Yes it is. Im not using a sealant, its marine plywood. I want a good water resistant paint, the boats garage kept but what kind of sealant would I use?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Even MG plywood will rot if exposed to water. The edges are the most susciptable to water intrusion. Epoxy is the best sealer but also the most costly. I like sealing plywood with this...
OTWS.jpg
Inexpensive to make and will do the job. If you're going to paint you can use regular polyurethan and NOT the Spar. Spar is used for UV protection but the paint will do the same. TIP: Go to your local recycling depot and see if they will set aside any Poly brought in for disposal. Mine does for me and I have several Gallons of it for FREE. Sometimes I even get Mineral Spirits and BLO from them to. A six pack of Beer every now and then and the workers there ALWAYS keep a look out for these chemicals and set them back for me. I'm a C.O.B so I really like FREE!!!! The painting method described in the link yields an inexpensive yet very durable finish.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
WOG's formula above is a great inexpensive way to seal your wood and you can replace the last few coats of full strength with paint to get your color.

If you choose to just paint it (porch paint would be my choice), get it fit, paint both sides and the edges, then install it - sealing the mounting holes as you go with some 3M 4200/5200.