Need help building cooler for my boat

HeathT52

Recruit
I have a 1986 Champion bass boat that I have recently had the carpet redone and was in the process of getting the deck extended when we decided to build a cooler to build into the deck. It is going to be at the front of the extension so the drainhole can go where there is already a drain in the floor of the boat. It will be 27"x16"x9". Trying to decide best way to go. Going to build it, then my carpet guy is going to build a wooden box around it to then build the rest of the deck around and top it off. My buddy used 1/8" kydex and plastic welded it. But we are having problems finding it, and the place here that he bought it from will no longer sell it and wanted $250 to make it, thought someone might be able to tell me where to find the material, or maybe another way to go. Open to anything. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I built my infloor coolers using 1" polyurethane house insulation foam board and 1/4" plywood.

The plywood was on the inside so when I throw a bad of ice, or dump a few 12 packs, I had something hard as a backer under the fiberglass

Covered inside with 1 later of csm, and 2 layers of cloth, then gelcoated it.

Lumber store only had Mylar faced, so peeled off the Mylar.

Will keep ice for 3 days