89 skeeter sd 125 transom thickness?

Gonefishing85

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was going to use seacast but due to cost I'm considering just using plywood. I plan to just drop it in from the top since both inner and outer skins are in great shape. The issue I am running into is the core thickness. It seams like the core is 1.25". It seams a bit thin?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sliding a new core piece in between the two skins will not work. There's no way to get the kind of bonding you need for the transom to be structrally sound.

Gonefishing85

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sliding a new core piece in between the two skins will not work. There's no way to get the kind of bonding you need for the transom to be structrally sound.

So assuming I have adequately prepped the existing skins and glassed over the plywood core, inserting the core with wet resin on all mating surfaces and then using a clamping system would not create a sufficient bond?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There'sno way to get enuf thickened resin onto the wood to keep you from having a LOT of voids and air pockets. To do it right your only looking at a few more hours of work.

Gonefishing85

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There'sno way to get enuf thickened resin onto the wood to keep you from having a LOT of voids and air pockets. To do it right your only looking at a few more hours of work.

I understand it's only a bit more work but also a lot more money. It would atleast triple the matrial costs. At that point I'm not really saving over a pour in core. So now I'm back to pour in. Is the arjay stuff any good? I found it for $399 for 2 pails with free shipping vs $ 440 plus $120+ shipping for seacast.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm not sure how to came up with that cost. Plywood transom core $40. Polyester resin $60 + additives, 1708 fabric $30 Miscellaneous supplies $20. That's 150$ for materials. Labor 2-3 hrs to remove the old transom core and prep the outer skin. 2hrs. to fabricate the new core. 3 hrs to install the new one. Round it up and call it 10 hrs. The "Pour - IN transom is MUCH more expensive. The effort will be about the same since removing the old transom from between the two skins is NOT that easy unless you use the chainsaw method and even then you'll still have to get the edges and corners.

Gonefishing85

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Uhmm not sure how to came up with that cost. Plywood transom core $40. Polyester resin $60 + additives, 1708 fabric $30 Miscellaneous supplies $20. That's 150$ for materials. Labor 2-3 hrs to remove the old transom core and prep the outer skin. 2hrs. to fabricate the new core. 3 hrs to install the new one. Round it up and call it 10 hrs. The "Pour - IN transom is MUCH more expensive. The effort will be about the same since removing the old transom from between the two skins is NOT that easy unless you use the chainsaw method and even then you'll still have to get the edges and corners.

Well I have all the old core out so it's a matter of pour and glass. If I go wood On the other hand I will have to cut out the foam box's to then cut out the inner skin and then grind everything down. Also ill have to build the new wood core and that alone is going to be a lengthy process for me. Wood and I do not play well together. Not to mention new foam. Also I have not seen those low of prices anywhere. Do you have any suggestions on suppliers? With my skill or lack there of, I'm realistically looking at 20+ hours of work from where I'm currently at if I go wood. 10- if I pour it in. I'm not opposed to wood but with the prices i have seen and the additional time it will take, it's literally going to be a wash as far as cost.