rotten glass?

Gator1955

Cadet
Ok so its been awhile since Ive had any time or money to fool around with my boats but the family and i just got settled into a new home and bills are getting paid off. So I got a little extra time and money on my hands to throw at one of my boats. Currently I have an 87 galaxie 19 foot cuddy cabinin the driveway without a deck and stringers. As of late i've been grinding out the old stringer tabbing (applied haphazardly with a chopper gun) and noticed woven roving that was dark brown and even black in some areas around and under the stringer bed which they actually sit on top of my bottom strakes. So far its just been the top layer of roving that was a "dry lay up" in these areas where It was improperly laminated from the factory and the term escapes me right now but would it be alright if I grind out these areas and just put down my PL or PB and glass the stringers in right over the top of them or should I build these areas back up with roving then lay in the stringers.

Last edited:

Gator1955

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo248571.jpg
    photo248571.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo248572.jpg
    photo248572.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo248573.jpg
    photo248573.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1
  • photo248574.jpg
    photo248574.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo248575.jpg
    photo248575.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would grind a bit more. My last rehab I ground 2 layers of roving/tabbing out before I got to clean enough to start adding stringers back in

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Yes, I would defiantly build it back before putting the stringer on top of it but I wouldn't use roving; I would go with 1708 instead. Best of luck on your project.

Gator1955

Cadet
So i'm planning on picking up 5 gals of poly resin Monday. I hope to be finished with the rest of the grinding this weekend. Would it just be simpler to lay a 4 or 6 inch strip of 1708 inside the stringer channels instead of patching each low spot? I'm tired of grinding and I would love to see stringers in the boat, hoping that seeing the visual progress will give me the ambition I once had at the beginning of this project. Thank you all, you've been very helpful.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
It was/is an inboard or IO?

Most likely that would make the discoloration oil/grease from the engine. You'll need to grind out all the discolored material as the oil will interfere with proper adhesion of the new glass work.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree with DeepBlue, just run a layer of 1708, or two depending on how deep you ground down, over the whole area you ground down. You will not need to fill and level when you lay the glass down. The bedding material for the stringers will take care of the low spots.

Gator1955

Cadet
It was/is an inboard or IO?

Most likely that would make the discoloration oil/grease from the engine. You'll need to grind out all the discolored material as the oil will interfere with proper adhesion of the new glass work.

Its an I/O the brown spots in the picture are stains from water getting inside the laminate, but yes i do agree with grinding down to good glass. The stringers should be ten times better than before when finished . When they were glassed over with the chopper gun it was very irregular 1/2 inch to 1/8 inch thick.

Last edited: