Plywood revisited

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
penny wise, pound foolish...

your call. Either way make sure you are putting into your truck what you think you are. My new floor has rot after a year and I followed all these folks instructions. Only thing I can think is I pulled from the wrong slot.

Sooo, what exactly did you do to your floor that caused it to have rot after a year of exposure? I'm VERY interested in understanding how this happened.

RunninLund

Recruit
It looks like Lowes (up the road, an hour away) has sanded ACX ply. Thanks John, didn't even think about a sealer...would Thompsons or the like be sufficient?While CSM and polyresin would be nice, I doubt there is any at the local hardware store. I need to do the best I can with what limited products I have access to. I'm willing to take suggestions but remember I live in the mountains...so, Lowes or HD is pretty much my only source.
Is the outdoor carpet glue they sell at Home Depot sufficient for holding carpet to the deck?

Maybe I'm in over my head.....

Indywoods

Cadet
I know almost nothing about boat building but I have been a home builder/cabinet maker for coming up on 30 years. In my experience, big box stores will almost never have decent plywood, although if you know exactly what you want you may find good enough. Look for domestic brands, such as Columbia. Menards for example, typically has almost all Chinese plywoods which are horrific. In your area there is a lot of high end construction and materials available so I know there are "real" lumber yards. This is where you will find knowledgeable people who sell good plywood. Pricing really should be more for what you're getting.

http://www.mcilvain.com/do-you-really-need-marine-grade-plywood/ Here's a web page with some info. But don't get too bogged down. If you find a good lumber pro and tell them what you are doing they will be able to get you the right product they have available.

As far as sealers, I don't know what would be best but I would stay away from products such as Thompsons. It wont offer much in the way of protection or permanence, and many have a wax base which will interfere with just about anything you want to coat the plywood with. Why can't you simply order the correct resins/coating materials online?

Finally, sorry to get preachy but I keep repeating this mistake, remember you never have the time or money to do it right the first time but you always have the time and money to do it right the second time.

Cheers

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks like Lowes (up the road, an hour away) has sanded ACX ply. Thanks John, didn't even think about a sealer...would Thompsons or the like be sufficient?While CSM and polyresin would be nice, I doubt there is any at the local hardware store. I need to do the best I can with what limited products I have access to. I'm willing to take suggestions but remember I live in the mountains...so, Lowes or HD is pretty much my only source.
Is the outdoor carpet glue they sell at Home Depot sufficient for holding carpet to the deck?

Maybe I'm in over my head.....

I highly suggest you check out woodonglass's "old timers formula" for coating the deck. I don't believe it is much more $$$ than what you will pay for Thompsons & sounds like if done correctly will last many years longer than a deck sealer. You can get Bondo Resin & fiberglass at Wal Mart but if you are doing a whole floor your better off getting at least the glass online. Stuff they sell at Wal Mart only comes in small sheets which means you would have to lay down probably 4-6 sheets which is ok but it would be stronger if it is one complete sheet.
I have not yet laid down my carpet but WOG suggested Weld Wood Contact Cement. I am sure there are a few other glues that can be used but you have to be careful of what you buy. Some of it doesn't like water & some of it can interfere with the properties of the resin.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Sooo, what exactly did you do to your floor that caused it to have rot after a year of exposure? I'm VERY interested in understanding how this happened.

worst thing I did was uncovered for about 60 days but nice tilt wasn't holding water. And it is wrapped in nautolex. I followed the forums instruction when prepping it ie sealing it screwed thru the face with washered screws and sealed with 4200 (see my lonestar thread) but just wouldn't think 60 days in the summer not ponding water would hurt it so I'm making the assumption i pulled the wrong stuff (or the two dudes did). I'll know for sure when I find a place to buy a 60x144 sheet of diamond tread aluminum....

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I looked at your old thread and didn't see any description of the deck work. Did you use Epoxy or Poly Resin? Where is the deck rotting? Carpet? Paint? Gelcoat??

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
poly and at the but seam between two panels, under the nautolex. Haven't pulled so not sure if from top down or bottom up. I'm going to put a piece of aluminum over it for the rest of the summer and do the whole think in aluminum.

I must have read steps on another thread but I never would have sealed so I know I ready it and i know I didn't read it on my other boat forum we rarely talk about boats.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Wouldn't the details of Joe's deck problems and repair be better served in his LS's topic?

Thanks fellas.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll know for sure when I find a place to buy a 60x144 sheet of diamond tread aluminum....
Too bad you don't live close to me here in Dayton. I could have my sales set you up! I am the Plant Manager of the Dayton Schupan Aluminum & Plastic Sales. I am using some as accent pieces through out the interior.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To the OP, if you are not doing a huge area you can use the poly resin from HD or Walmart. You can also mail order by the gallon for around $25 a gallon plus shipping. I got my last batch from Composites Envision. I had my wife pick it up from me when she brought my son back from college this past spring. I don't know how bad their shipping is, but their material prices are decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
lowes has bondo fiberglass resin, its waxed as does home depot , again it is waxed however if just doing one coat and keep moving you would be fine with either ,
I personally went with 3/4 bc exterior plywood , I think half inch is too thin for me and my " robust friends it flexes too much causing cracks then water gets in and the rot begins .I also used 1708 bias across my boat floor you can jump on it and it don't creek :)bend or move I was 290 when I tested I'm down to 240 now I'm going to patent the boat diet its all about forgetting things and using the ladder 30 times a day :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Too bad you don't live close to me here in Dayton. I could have my sales set you up! I am the Plant Manager of the Dayton Schupan Aluminum & Plastic Sales. I am using some as accent pieces through out the interior.
I sent you a pm

gm280

Supreme Mariner
lowes has bondo fiberglass resin, its waxed as does home depot , again it is waxed however if just doing one coat and keep moving you would be fine with either ,
I personally went with 3/4 bc exterior plywood , I think half inch is too thin for me and my " robust friends it flexes too much causing cracks then water gets in and the rot begins .I also used 1708 bias across my boat floor you can jump on it and it don't creek :)bend or move I was 290 when I tested I'm down to 240 now I'm going to patent the boat diet its all about forgetting things and using the ladder 30 times a day :)

WOW mickyryan, great to read you dropped 50lbs. That is no small feat. Maybe you should make a video of you climbing up and down the ladder with some music and market it. With 330 million folks in America alone, if only a fraction of one percent bought it, you would make a ton of money. Remember, I have to get a cut of the profits. :facepalm:

Keep it up... :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
WOW mickyryan, great to read you dropped 50lbs. That is no small feat. Maybe you should make a video of you climbing up and down the ladder with some music and market it. With 330 million folks in America alone, if only a fraction of one percent bought it, you would make a ton of money. Remember, I have to get a cut of the profits. :facepalm:

Keep it up... :thumb:

shhh I'm trying to find the cheesy jazzersize 80's soundtrack :)

fishrdan

Admiral
Look for 1/2" "5-ply" doug fir exterior plywood. Exterior glue and it's pretty darn rigid...