Building your own fiberglass motor bracket for in board out board conversion ?

csasdaddy@msn.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Question is can I take marine plywood an build a motor bracket to mount my motors on . Or should I just spend a grand up on a aluminum one

Ned L

Commander
The stresses involved (twisting forces from the thrust of the prop) are probably a lot greater than you expect. Unless you don't mind the real potential of loosing your outboard (or two by the sounds of your post) I wouldnt recommend building your own bracket. Also, have you considered what moving that much weight back that far may do to the boat's performance?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ned,

I think you meant
I wouldnt recommend building your own bracket

Theres a reason brackets are so expensive.

The posted I/O to outboard conversions havent had a great track record of successful conversions

Ned L

Commander
Ned,

I think you meant

"I wouldn't recommend building your own bracket"

:O :O !!!!!! Ahhhh!!! YES, you are correct, I would NOT recommend building your own.

Darn cell phone typo/ autocorrect.

Jbcurt00,... Maybe you could edit / correct that for me. :D

Oops,.... Also, I think he has a boat,.. Not a noat.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Improved performance from an Engine "POD" depends a LOT on the boat. IMHO your boat is NOT one that would benefit from a "POD". Once your transom is rebuilt "Better than New". It will be all that's needed for your boat. On another note it's usually best to have ALL questions concerning your restoration project on 1 thread. Having multiple threads on the same topic makes it difficult for everyone to get the "BIG PICTURE"

csasdaddy@msn.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I didn't know if should ask separately or not . Some places would rather it be done like that .

csasdaddy@msn.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Woodonglass do you know where I can find out how long if a shaft motor is required on my wellcraft 248 sportsman I have a 25" shaft motor to use on it as of now