Another Upholstery Job

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I watched a video on "walking foot" as I was not entirely sure what it was/is. I might still be a little confused, but it appears to be aggressive teeth for processing multiple layers of fabric smoothly and consistently. Correct?.My Brother has the teeth on the base that pushes the material through at a rate based on the setting. Maybe I will post a pic of what I am talking about-as we know I sure don't know :) Is the WF just an attachment?

Is there a certain needle size for the #92 thread-assuming that is the correct thread for boat seats?
Standard Home Sewing machines are all "Drop Feed" systems. The "Feed Dogs" (those metal pieces under the needle that have "Teeth" work in combination with the Presser Foot (device that drops down and "Clamps" the material to the bed of the machine.) and Pulls the material thru the machine.
Walking foot machines have two basic types a standard Upper and Lower Feed, and a Combination feed.(Where the Feed Dogs, Needle, and presser feet all work in combination to pull the material thru the machine)
There are a LOT of variations of these. This will help you get a better understanding of All the different types.

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc3/feed.htm

This video shows a Compound feed machine working...

In my Home Machines I use SCHMETZ 15x1 #19 needles. That's the biggest I could find for home machines and works Great with #92 thread. $9 bucks for 15 needles.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schmetz-Heav...-/380499183376

You can buy a Walking Foot attachment for Home Machines.

Walking Foot.jpg

I did and it really wasn't worth the money. A True Walking Foot machine is an Industrial Machine the will sew and pull thru just about anything. A home machine struggles at Pulling the material thru if it gets to be to thick..I.E. 6 layers of vinyl (which is required if you want Piping on your seats) The Singer 15-91, 201, and 66-18 seem to not struggle all that bad with 6 layers of vinyl. I had a Kenmore, and a Morse. And the Singers ALL were better at getting the vinyl to feed at a constant rate which is what gives you the constant stitch size which, as noted, is very important. Big Stitch size mean fewer holes punched in the vinyl and a stronger seam. My walking foot will sew up to a 9mm stitch. Most home machines only sew a maximum of 6 stitches per inch which is about a 6mm stitch.

I honestly wouldn't buy any of the machines you listed. The only one the MIGHT be ok would be the Last one listed. I'm pretty sure it's All metal geared.

This looks like you get 2 industrial machines for $250 bucks. I'd Really look into this. You could sell one for $100 bucks pretty easy and get almost half your money back. If I was close enuf I'd be on this Like a June Bug on a LightBulb!!!!:eek:

http://evansville.craigslist.org/for/5693124053.html

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is my Consew 226R-2 $300 on eBay

sew.jpg

Try doing this with a non walking foot machine...not going to happen! In the corner is double fold binding. Then double fold binding on top of that. Layer of Sunbrella and a layer of webbing. So that is 9 layers of Sunbrella and a layer of webbing.

IMG_20140201_160807.jpg

All depends on how much you want to spend for your tools. Personally, I like the best tool for the job. Same reason I have a TIG welder, a MIG welder, a plasma cutter and a cold cut saw for metal working.

Last edited:

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
That 15-91 seems to be well liked around here. What are some models of older Singer machines with WF, like the 15-91 that I can scout for? Believe I need to dig a little deeper into the pocket book for a machine. That 15-91 at $80 is perfect for me and the perfect size. I am having a real dilemma around here for space! I simply need a bigger yard so I can have a bigger shed/pole barn for this and that.

I am not entirely certain how much use a machine will get after my seats are all completed, so I don't want to spend too much and constantly be moving it around all the time for being in the way. I make do with a MIG. However, if I don't spend enough....

Thanks Woody, that video was perfect on the walking foot. Clear now how the WF helps! I do plan to recreate these seats as close to original as possible.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Did you see the link for the industrial Machines for $250 in evansville I THINK but not sure that one of em is a walking foot. Pictures are too bad to really tell. I'd for sure contact them and then see if you could sell one to offset the price of the one you keep. The 15-91 Will do the job. You'll only be going thru 6 layers of vinyl and it handles that with ease.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I offer this for everyones consideration..WARNING: I SUCK doing videos

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That video shows exactly why you want a walking foot. The stitch length gets way too small with that Singer.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good video Woody. You have mastered youtube already! Thanks for posting that 15-91 it sure has enough power for the job. I measured the stitches on some of my boat seats and found 5.5 to 6 holes per inch.

I think I will just try that SA107 walking foot attachment for $10 and see what happens first. Will also get some of those needles Woody mentioned. My Brother has a setting for stitch length, so enough power to do the job is all she lacks. :) Found a video showing some stick on pads for the foot that help the material feed through better when sewing vinyl (marine grade specifically). Still waiting on samples.

Now that I know what to look for in a replacement machine I can keep an eye on the market. Seems like a good price on that 15-91 Singer you found near me for $80. I would certainly buy one of those before I would buy a new machine. My Brother was a gift.

The two industrial Singers for $250 are a little too far away.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here are some stitch lengths from my seats-calipers were set to 1.000":

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup that's about 5 stitches per inch. So the 15-91 will be a bit smaller. However for some seams, to large of a stitch is NOT desired. It can/will lead to a "Gappy" seam which WILL allow water to penetrate to the foam. This is especially true on Pleats.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yup that's about 5 stitches per inch. So the 15-91 will be a bit smaller. However for some seams, to large of a stitch is NOT desired. It can/will lead to a "Gappy" seam which WILL allow water to penetrate to the foam. This is especially true on Pleats.

WOG, is there a breakdown for those sewing machines and can you still get parts? I ask because IF I ever get into such things, I'd like to know that most any machine I buy I could procure parts for them yet. But I would need a parts break down to see how it all comes together as well. :noidea:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes, Parts for the 15-91 are plentiful but...I seriously doubt you'll need anything major. They ARE extremely durable and EASY to work on. I've brought 2 of them back to life. Mostly wiring, cleaning, oiling and polishing. IF you purchase one I'll be happy to assist with any maintenance.issues. I have an electronic library started for all the sewing machines and I'll be happy to share.;) The walking foot machines are about the same. They just don't seem to wear out. If you can find a WF for 3-4 hundred it'd for sure the way to go. You'll be able to get your money back if you decided to sell it when you're done. If you can't find a WF the 15-91, 66-18, or the 201-2 Singers for sure will get the job done.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Consews are extremely easy to get parts for. I can actually drive to one of the places that sells on eBay to buy stuff. There is also a major Consew dealer in the Los Angeles area that carries parts.

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
Did you know that a lot of the internal parts in the Consew are made by Seiko, the watch folks?

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys I have been asking everyone on Craigslist what model their machine is. I got this on a new listing here: #BU7E and Motor #4674272. Anyone good?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely NO!!! That's a 1920's vintage Model 127 (I'm guessing) and it uses a totally different bobbin system. Would NOT advise buying it. Is the 15-91 still available. I bought one today for $25 bucks. Needs re-wired and greased then it'll be like NEW!!!