Another Upholstery Job

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If that is a Walking Foot Juki...Buy it. Doesn't matter if it works or not. I can/will walk you thru everything you need to do to get it running. They NEVER get to the point that you can't fix em. They're almost indestructable. Let me know as soon as you know the model and I'll research the heck out of it. New motors are about $125. A good running Juki machine usually brings around 4-6 hundred Bucks!!! Even if it's a single needle Non Walking foot machine it's still worth the Price.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seems strange that its a 220volt on the juki ...Woody is correct that is a steal... They don't last long at that price ..

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
WoG, I am not trying to be the know it all here and step on your toes, but, are you recommending a beginner try to learn to sew upholstery on a non walking foot machine? Heck, I have been doing upholstery over 30 years and I don't think I could sew a decent seat cover with a non-walker.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Juki is a DDL5555. What do you guys think? I did a little research. It appears to be a single-needle non-walking foot version and 220. The least desirable for me and my application.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well Jerry, I've had this conversation with other longtime upholsterers and all I can tell you is, the two machines I mentioned, were one's I used to do my boat and others when I first started. I know you like Corjen's work so take a look at his personal boat upholstery that he did with Non walking foot Home Machines. Also sphelps did some PRO like workI'm not saying it's the optimum machine but for the DIY'r that doesn't want to invest a lot of money on a machine, these two models are more than capable of doing good Upholstery work. Especially the Juki DDL5555. My first Industrial machine was a Singer 20u Non Walking foot and I could not Honestly tell any difference between it and my Home Machines. I finally bought a Walking Foot and then I could see the benefits. Soooo much easier but Sooo much more costly for the investment in the machine.

Here's some examples of Home Machine upholstery!

sphelps made these from scratch And a Home Machine...
DSC00842.jpg

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
The big thing I was thinking about is controlling the stitch length which is critical when sewing vinyl. Maybe its easier than I think it would be because I admit all the machines I have had were walking foot machines. I guess with some practice it might not be that difficult. I just know that too many stitches too close together in vinyl will lead to early tearing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Juki is a DDL5555. What do you guys think? I did a little research. It appears to be a single-needle non-walking foot version and 220. The least desirable for me and my application.
I would pass. It's a great price but it being a non-walking foot is a deal killer if you want to do vinyl and/or canvas.

I have a Consew 226R-2 that I bought on eBay for $300 years ago. I replaced the motor with a servo motor.

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
My requirements for a sewing machine would be : Industrial grade walking foot machine with reverse, welt foot, and stitch length adjusment. That would be my minimum requirements. I would also want a bobbin winder on it but you can get pre-loaded bobbins if necesary.

I now use a Consew machine also. Can't remember the model and I'm not at work today. Great machine and handles everything I throw at it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's obvious you have never used one of these machines. My walking foot has done inconsistent stitches too. And I did state in my original post that a walking foot is optimal. I find it interesting that those who have never used one of the vintage singers are so certain they won't work. If you don't have the extra hundred of dollars to spend on a machine that you may only use one time thesE ARE viable options. I'll post some pics of the stitches that my 15-91 produces and how it compares to the walking foot

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old Singer in my store room and I used it a bunch. It is a walking foot though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree about stitch length. And the WF machines as I stated are much better. I will try and make some videos of both so everyone can judge. The videos I posted earlier truly do represent the capabilities of the two machines.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree about stitch length. And the WF machines as I stated are much better. I will try and make some videos of both so everyone can judge. The videos I posted earlier truly do represent the capabilities of the two machines.

WOG, I tried to view the videos you posted but some how my computer stopped allowing me to see any video on You Tube. It keeps telling me I need Adobe Flash. And I have Adobe Flash but nothing runs. Probably some option I have turned off or on. Anyhow, I see 15-91 Singer machines all over the EBay. Prices from $40 bucks to hundreds. But not knowing what I would seriously need, I just leave them alone.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
.... I will try and make some videos of both so everyone can judge. The videos I posted earlier truly do represent the capabilities of the two machines.
Wog, where do you post your videos? how can I find them?

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Excellent discussion guys. My Brother LS-1217 has variable stitch length and zig-zag, but I find it difficult to work with. I will admit this is probably because I don't know the machine's limitations and exactly how to use it. Sometimes it will work perfect whereas other times the thread will knot-up on the underside like a birds nest. I really don't want to dump a ton of money into a machine I won't use very often. I know that the quality of this interior will depend on the tools I have. Wouldn't mind a better machine than I have now for my boat interior project. Just remembered, the Brother also has an attachment for two needles. Seems like only disaster could come from this machine with two needles and me on the pedal though.

I watched a video on "walking foot" as I was not entirely sure what it was/is. I might still be a little confused, but it appears to be aggressive teeth for processing multiple layers of fabric smoothly and consistently. Ccorrect?.My Brother has the teeth on the base that pushes the material through at a rate based on the setting. Maybe I will post a pic of what I am talking about-as we know I sure don't know :) Is the WF just an attachment?

Is there a certain needle size for the #92 thread-assuming that is the correct thread for boat seats?

I found some more machines on craigslist. Wondering what you guys think of these:
http://clarksville.craigslist.org/atq/5677307550.html
http://clarksville.craigslist.org/for/5701683152.html
http://clarksville.craigslist.org/fuo/5699070564.html
http://clarksville.craigslist.org/atq/5658758703.html

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Stitch length is important .. The seats Woody posted earlier was done with just an old Kenmore home style heavy duty machine ... I then picked up an old singer 3115 for 80 bucks non w/f and made these ..

I had to devise a way to slow both machines down to help keep the stitch length a wide as possible ... When it takes off like a rocket it seems thats when ya get into trouble and the needle moves faster than you material resulting in small stitches .. For someone just wanting to do there own seats trying to save a buck or just for the fun of it you can use one of the non w/f machines and do a half decent job for the most part ...
But just like a lot of this stuff it can be addicting and kinda fun so the ultimate goal is for sure a w/f ...
So after just keeping an eye out I was able to pick this puppy up for 250 bucks .. I haven't had a chance to make anything with it yet but soon hopefully ..

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
WoG...First I will say sorry for us hard headed folks for hijacking your thread.

Sunken, The point behind of all of our banter is to try and help you and others that may come along well after your project is complete.

So here is my perspective from a guy thats only been doing upholstery a few years....

I started on this:

1953 Morse 4300 zig zag... It was not a walking foot, it was not a industrial strength... What it was, was an all metal, well made machine. I did almost me entire boat with this. It worked fantastically. (for what I knew at the time)

Then my friend WoG, hooked me up with as well: A 1948 Singer 15-91

The combination of them both finished my boat... It also started giving me perspective...(What was good and bad from each) Both of them together was like the dynamic duo!!

Then I started to learn about walking foot machines.... and what I learned is many of the issues I didnt care for with the straight stitch machines, were solved with the walking foot...So I went on the hunt for one of them. I ended up with a Juki 562

I think the point I?m trying to make is that no matter what machine you get, you can get the job done, some machines will make the job easier, but not exactly absolutely necessary. Depends on what you want to do with the skills/tools after your project....

Now back to our regularly scheduled program?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WOG, I tried to view the videos you posted but some how my computer stopped allowing me to see any video on You Tube. It keeps telling me I need Adobe Flash. And I have Adobe Flash but nothing runs. Probably some option I have turned off or on. Anyhow, I see 15-91 Singer machines all over the EBay. Prices from $40 bucks to hundreds. But not knowing what I would seriously need, I just leave them alone.
You need to uninstall and re-install the Flash. It gets corrupted sometimes. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll remote in to you PC and fix it for you..:D
If you can buy a 15-91 for $50-$75 bucks...Buy it. I guarantee you it will do the job. I also forgot to mention that the Singer 201 will also handle heavy material.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WoG...First I will say sorry for us hard headed folks for hijacking your thread.
You Can't HiJack this Thread!! I LOVE that we have these kinds of discussions cuz EVERYBODY has and opinion and I learn something from everyone. Let's keep it up. Heck I'm and Old Dumb Okie and can use every bit of help I can get.:D