1981 john allmand offshore fisherman 26

dillrepair

Recruit
hi. not really sure where to start. the boat is a 1981 john allmand offshore fisherman. not sure what engines originally were equipped, wasn't able to find that much about it online. it definitely had twins from birth but someone replaced the original engines poorly http://allmandboats.com/history/26/Image4.jpg.html

please see these pictures in this imgur album (no spam pic hosting site) for reference to my project:

http://imgur.com/a/OLPgi

i have some fiberglass knowledge and have read and re-read the west system guide to stringer and bulkhead repair and reviewed other internet sources but i have some structural questions and i want to proceed in the best way i can without breaking the bank on this project.

there is clearly a lot of fiberglass work to be done all over the place including deck work, transom work, stringer work, and strut/rudder mount areas.. i have no concerns with most of it however the engine mount towers seen in the picture are a concern for me. two or three are delaminated at the base and flexing but all will clearly have to be removed and redone and reinforced but i want to know what everyone thinks is the best way to do so. they need more lateral and longitudinal support but i don't want to create any "hard spots" (if thats something i should even be worried about i'm not sure) or make things any worse.

the boat is still fairly rigid in its current state (can lift most of a whole side off the trailer from a corner with just a few inch lift on a jack) and is on an a-frame trailer. the aft end of the a-frame trailer was modified poorly to make it wider so from the shaft logs back the trailer poorly supports the boat. i've read to support the boat at the stern corners and as far forward on the keel as possible to keep the hull convex when doing stringer repair is this correct?

i was already planning on adding 2 larger bulkheads for deck support and to create separate bilge spaces 1 under the helm where someone cut out the main cross member and another under the intact cross member. should i add small low bulkheads laterally connecting the mounts to the hull and each other in the engine compartment? can/should i use marine ply to add diagonal/longitudinal stiffness? how much "gap" should bulkheads or added reinforcement have at the hull and should i use some kind of foam base to allow minimal flex in the structure?

the engines on this project boat run smoothly despite their age so i'm going to be sticking with them. they are inline 6 chevy 292 blocks with velvet drives. each one is almost as heavy as a v8. when i got the boat they were wildly out of alignment and the logs are worn but serviceable. surprisingly both shafts are straight within 3 thousandths. someone had done a very poor job repowering and mounting as you may see in the pictures. you can see how high they are in the cockpit i don't think i have a choice about that unless i move the locations of rudders struts and logs completely (don't really want to that)

i'd greatly appreciate any and all constructive advice.

thanks in advance,
-dillrepair

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Welcome aboard. And yes alot of work. Demo being the first of them. Make sure you have the right ppe. Tools are antwhere from sawzalls, grinders, drills, circular saws etc. Pick your flavoflav. Take lots of pics and measuremnts. Getting back into the renovation part they will be like your right hand. try to go to fetch or photobucket to post your pics. Post alot and ask questions all day long. When we can see what you actually have and are doing then answers make a lot more sense. Nice boat!

hogbare35

Seaman
That's a lot of work , but lok at what you will have when you finish . Good luck . I hope to start posting my 26' stamas project soon, maybe we can work along together and share tips and ideas.

dillrepair

Recruit
my main concern is these engine mount towers... two of them are delaminating at the bottom... there is too much lateral movement in them and i don't think redoing them the way the were is good... how do you fiberglass experts think i should do it?
KL5J4F1.jpg
FYPOoxx.jpg
you can click the link i put in my first post to look at more pics of the engine mounts... these are my main concern how should i brace them properly with the stringers and laterally

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I would think to just laminate plys together and glass them up. That's alot of plys though but the strength will be there. Other options would be larger lumber sandwiched together. And yes get rid of any hard spots.

dillrepair

Recruit
they are approximately 4x7 or 8 looking down from the top... the front mounts are tall... too tall to be carrying so much weight without bracing imo... maybe 14 inches or more from the bottom of the hull on the inboard sides. here are some crude renderings of what i was thinking of doing with some marine ply glassed over and attached according to best practices, but i don't know if its correct or what: http://imgur.com/gn3Vr2t http://imgur.com/Nnm8puF not sure if doing something like this is a good idea or not but thats what i need advice about most.